District issues mandatory clear-bag policy

Sports spectators expected to use see-through bags for personal belongings

From+food+to+safety%3A+the+clear-bag+policy+welcomes+multiple+options+for+obtaining+one%2C+including+a+simple+Ziploc+bag.+

Wikimedia Commons

From food to safety: the clear-bag policy welcomes multiple options for obtaining one, including a simple Ziploc bag.

Daniel Lackey, Staff Writer

Comal ISD recently issued a solution to growing safety concerns on Jan. 7: a clear, easy-to-see-through bag required for attendees of sporting events taking place in all three high schools in the district, which allows personal belongings to be plainly visible to security personnel.

“We saw this as an area where we could increase the safety of our students, staff and fans,” CISD Director of Safety and Security Joe Mckenna said in a recent interview for the district. “This measure will not only increase security at our events but will also allow for expedited entry into our facilities.”

In order for these bags to fit the policy’s image, they must not be larger than twelve-by-six-by-twelve inches. Also, any type of bag measuring five and a half by eight and a half inches has to be made with plastic or vinyl material, with only one logo allowed to stand out on them. Thanks to booster clubs, longer lasting bags will be for sale.

“Comal ISD is one of many school districts in the area implementing a clear-bag procedure.” CISD Athletic Director Liana Gombert said to a district source. “This is quicker solution to checking all bags upon entry.”

Upon hearing about this change, frequent attendees of the school’s hosted athletic matches express opinion.

“[The policy] brings a little inconvenience for me, [especially] as a teacher,” Algebra II teacher Dora Rodriguez said, who frequently takes a backpack containing classroom papers and her laptop to the school’s stadium or other fields while her children partake in periodic events or games at those locations. “If I need to, sometimes I’ll grade and do other work while I watch [my kids], so [with this policy], I won’t be able to do anything.”

As of now the district imposing this policy is reserved only for all sporting activities. The prospect of further spreading it down to auditorium-related occasions evokes consideration.

“It [would] make sense [if auditorium events adopted the policy] because we don’t want anyone bringing bad things into the auditorium, but it’s definitely not my decision,” freshman theater student Ella Major said.

For more information: https://www.comalisd.org/apps/pages/clear-bag-procedure