Softball, baseball kick off seasons with tournaments

Ranger round up for the Feb 21 – 27

Tim Tschoepe

Junior varsity goalkeeper freshman Claire Temple and varsity goalkeeper freshman Kayla Petro toss a ball before the game against New Braunfels on Feb 26.

Softball:

In the Ranger Round Robin, a tournament hosted by Smithson Valley for schools from throughout Texas, softball finished 2-2. The girls left the Allen tournament with a 3-1 record, fighting through poor conditions that led to a canceled game.

Senior Hannah Kolmansberger and freshman Maddeline McDougall hit singers to lead the Rangers to victory and the Rangers will start district play on Tuesday.

Baseball:

Baseball finished 2-2-1 in the Border Olympics Tournament in Laredo.

They beat San Benito 4-3, tied with Alice 7-7, beat Jones 15-0, lost to United 1-6, then lost to South San Antonio 2-6.

Jarek Wells led in RBI for the entire tournament with 4; then Caden Norman and Ivan Ramos with 3 each.

Kasen Wells led in runs with 4; then Garrett Brooks, Jarek Wells, and Preston Jones all with 3 each.

Baseball’s next game is on Feb. 26 against Johnson.

Girls Soccer:

Girls soccer lost to Clemens 2-1 on Feb. 22. With SV down a player, Sarah Cyphers was able to assist Haley Smith to score a goal.

Melyna Martinez played 80 minutes in the game and saved three goals. Unfortunately, Clemens was able to to score two goals against us making our season record 8-5-3 and our district record 4-2-2.

The next Girls Soccer game is at home on Feb. 26th against New Braunfels. Come and show support!

Track:

The varsity track squad finished first overall out of 12 high schools this past Saturday. The team won gold in the boys 4×100 (Mount, Betsey, Blankenship, Eggleston) and triple jump with junior Greg Eggleston.

The team won silver and bronze medals in 14 other events leaving to the team placing in almost every event, higher than any other school.

JV won gold in the 3200 and 1600 (Wurn), 800 (Vasquez), 400 (Maples), 200 (Sennie), Boys 4×400 (Moody, Vasquez, Gomez, Maples), and Pole Vault (Ulbricht).

JV won silver or bronze in eight other events, helping the team obtain first place.