SPUD week returns

Students perform unselfish deeds for second annual charity event

A week of events are set in place to raise money

Laney Rendon, Editor-in-Chief

Students Performing Unselfish Deeds (SPUD) week will take place March 25-29. Family and Community Services (FACS) classes made a goal to raise $7000 that week for the designated beneficiary Seth Permenter.

Permenter was diagnosed with osteosarcoma, a malignant tumor of bone when he was in the fourth grade. Now in sixth grade, Permenter continues to have medical treatments and rising costs.

SPUD week consists of different events each day for one week that are all sponsored or organized by different clubs on campus to raise money. On the last day, March 29, a pep rally will be held with each club or organization that participated this week where each will present a check showcasing the amount they raised for Permenter.

“Last year we had very successful events with a teacher vs student basketball game, dodgeball game, two spirit nights at restaurants, we sold hot passes, jean passes to teachers and raffled a red parking pass,” FACS teacher Tina Olcott said. “We are hoping to increase our involvement on campus this year.”

Last year SPUD raised a little over $5000 for cancer survivor Sequoia White, a senior at the time, from events including spirit nights at local establishments Specht’s Store and restaurant Ay Chiwawa, Taco Tuesday with ROTC, a faculty-student basketball game and the annual dodgeball tournament. Any organization interested in participating or sponsoring Permenter is encouraged to contact Olcott as soon as possible.

“I believe we can go above and beyond our set goal and make this a week to remember,” Olcott said.

The schedule as of now is: Spirit Night at the Branch on Monday, March 25, faculty-student basketball game in the main gym on Tuesday, Dodgeball on Thursday and the pep rally on Friday.

“I hope we get a good turn out at the Branch,” junior Jacqueline LaFonde said, “(and) I think the t-shirts are going to be a really big hit because they were well designed and I think they came out really good.”

T-shirt order forms can be found in the form box outside Olcott’s classroom C103 and are due by Friday, March 8. T-shirts are $10 and all proceeds will go to Permenter.

“We will also be selling jean passes for $10 (to all teachers) for the month of April,” Olcott said. “I will have that order form out soon.”