Shattered Dreams

Shattered Dreams will occur on Thursday and Friday for all juniors and seniors.

Portraying victims of a drunk driving crash, senior Emily Harrison cries over victim Hannah Pittman during Shattered Dreams. Accidents also can occur form distracted driving.

Casey Casselberry

Leslie Juarez, Staff Writer

In an attempt to dissuade students from drinking and driving during their Spring Breaks and throughout the rest of their lives, the Family and Community Services program will host Shattered Dreams, a two day program that includes a mock crash and mock memorial to emphasize the effects of driving distracted or under the influence.

Starting on Thursday, the senior class will gather together to witness the fallout of a mock car crash due to drunk driving. The junior and senior students will report to the area outside the Rotunda. This event will show students that driving while drunk can ruin someone’s life in seconds. It will begin shortly after 10:45 am. In the scene, there are at least 2 EMS trucks, 2 fire trucks, 2 ambulances, and 2-3 sheriff cars as well as a vehicle from a funeral home to make it appear as realistic as possible. 

When the scene is finished, students watching will leave from this crash scene and report to their 3rd period class. Another part of the program is the living dead and broken hearted, which occurs from 3rd-6th period.

At the beginning of each period, the “Grim Reaper” comes into some of the classes to pull out a “Living Dead” student. Their “Broken-hearted” friend will then come in and read their obituary. This is to represent that every 15 minutes a young adult/teen will die from an alcohol related accident.  Not every class will be affected.

On Friday, being day 2, will be the mock memorial service. The assembly time for the juniors and seniors will be from 10:27 – 11:12.  An announcement will be made to release 11th/12th students to the main gym at 10:15. There will be 2 guest speakers and special performances from choir and orchestra. After the service, students will be released to 3rd period.

About the Writer
Leslie Juarez, Staff Writer

Hi! My name is Leslie Juarez and I'm a junior. I am in Color Guard. I enjoy writing, drawing and hanging out with friends.