Softball copes with coach’s absence

Team captains, upperclassmen step up to keep team playing at their best

Back to Article
Back to Article

Softball copes with coach’s absence

Senior players Hannah Kollmansberger and Presley Smith walk off the field after a game on Feb 25. The gilrs and their fellow seniors have stepped up in the absense of their coach Lisa Daigle.

Holly Anthony

Holly Anthony

Holly Anthony

Rebecca Covington and Wyatt Tomallo

The softball team often describes itself as a family. When one family member cannot do what they normally do, the other members step up to help out. This happened when softball coach and Teen Leadership teacher Lisa Daigle had to leave her team during their season to get hip replacement surgery.

Team captains and key players found themselves filling in for Daigle. One of those is senior Hannah Kollmansberger, who committed to play at the collegiate level at Schreiner University.

“Captains will need to have a much bigger role and need to be better role models,” Kollmansberger said.

Daigle’s husband, Wayne, has been coaching the team in her absence. Students, seniors especially, found the change in leadership to be significantly different.

“We had to learn to adjust with Mr.Daigle’s coaching style,” said senior Carissa Vasquez, a Stephen F. Austin University commit.

The obstacles students faced throughout their time as a team, including this leadership change, prepare them for the real world.

“Softball has helped me outside of school by teaching me how to surpass adversity,” Vasquez said.

Spending years under Daigle’s leadership taught students to believe in themselves, and they are showcasing these learned traits during her absence.

“It has been hard cause she was our voice and helped us through all our ups and downs,” senior Presley Smith said. “So the seniors and upperclassmen have really stepped up in her absence.”

About the Writers
Rebecca Covington, Editor-in-Chief

Hi, I'm Rebecca Covington but most people call me Becca or Becks. This year, I'm a senior and co Editor-in-Chief. Other things I do include competing in...

Wyatt Tomallo, Sports Editor

Hi, my name is Wyatt Tomallo. I am a senior and the sports editor for the Valley Ventana. I play lacrosse for the high school.