Lacrosse wrangles Rattlers

Sophomore defensemen Sam Garibay (far left), junior midfielder Jacob Forton, (middle) , senior defenseman Wyatt Tomallo (right), and senior midfielder Jack Bracher (far right). Smithson Valley Lacrosse beat Reagan 19-9 in blowout senior night win, win district rivalry and  Randall Perkins trophy

Sam Garibay

Sophomore defensemen Sam Garibay (far left), junior midfielder Jacob Forton, (middle) , senior defenseman Wyatt Tomallo (right), and senior midfielder Jack Bracher (far right). Smithson Valley Lacrosse beat Reagan 19-9 in blowout senior night win, win district rivalry and Randall Perkins trophy

Wyatt Tomallo, Sports Editor

With the stands packed to the brim, fans and parents cheering for the team, the varsity lacrosse squad takes to the field. Seniors Jacob Cox, Wyatt Tomallo, Jared Walker, Aaron Clark, and Matt Kollmansberger take their last stand in one of the most anticipated matchups of the season, Reagan.

Sophomore faceoff midfielder, Will Ford lines up for the face off. He clamps the ball viciously as soon as the referee blows his whistle. Moments later the standout sophomore puts the ball in the back of the net to give the Rangers a crisp 1-0 lead. The Rattlers are stunned, as the Rangers continues to bury the lead with multiple scores coming from attackman Aaron Clark and Ian Feely. The team was in control and dominated the Rattlers into oblivion.

“Everything was going well for our team, we were all on the same page making it really fun.” said Clark.

The Rangers defense bombarded the Rattlers offense with huge hits coming from defensemen Wyatt Tomallo, Sam Garibay, and Conner Cuellar. The team’s defense held the Rattlers to a mere five goals toward the end of the first half, completely shutting down Reagan’s best attackmen and regional superstar Conner Williams. Physicality became the motivation for the Rangers, as the Rattlers were unable to fire back after hits from Tomallo and Garibay weakened Reagan’s drive. Senior goalie, Logan Smith disrupted every shot attempted by the Rattler offense, causing Reagan’s coaching staff to panic with multiple timeouts called.

“We played as one and in doing so we were able to beat a tough opponent” said senior goalie Logan Smith.

The team continued to pile on the scores making the final score a 19-9 victory for the Rangers.The team now places first in district with two district games remaining in the season. The team takes on district opponent TMI this Wednesday at 7 p.m. at TMI which very well could secure a district championship for the lax squad.  

About the Writer
Wyatt Tomallo, Sports Editor

Hi, my name is Wyatt Tomallo. I am a senior and the sports editor for the Valley Ventana. I play lacrosse for the high school.