Top 10 horror movies

Staff writers compile list of favorite scary films

Back to Article
Back to Article

Top 10 horror movies

The movies on this list are available to stream on services such as Netflix, Amazon Video, and Hulu.

Between the classics and the newbies, horror movies have inevitably shaped pop culture. Whether you hide under the covers at every scare or you embrace the spine-tingling sensation of pure terror, the love of a good adrenaline rush has drawn people to theaters all around the world.

Here, we have compiled a list of the best, blood-curdling, scream-inducing motion pictures of our time.

10) “The Blair Witch Project” (1999)

6.4/10 on IMDb

Evil looms around a small town community in Burkittsville, Maryland, plaguing the townsfolk and intriguing three film students. They travel to the Blair Hills to investigate the infamous Blair Witch Trials, but when they find themselves lost and trapped.

9) “Insidious” (2010)

6.9/10 on IMDb

New house loans, hours of unpacking and an evil spirit possessing your children. Moving can be a burden, especially when your house is accompanied by a demon filled dimension slowly ripping your son away and haunting your every move.

8) “Sinister” (2012)

6.8/10 on IMDb

After years of writer’s block, struggling true crime author Ellison Oswalt uncovers a dusty old box filled to the brim with unearthly knick-knacks. Not long after unpacking the haunted items, a trail of misery begins to follow Oswalt and his family wherever they go.

7) “Hereditary” (2018)

7.3/10 on IMDb

After the loss of her mother, Annie Graham is searching. Searching for answers, searching for the truth. But during a wild night, Annie’s youngest daughter suffocates and perishes on the side of the road. Finally, the truth starts to unravel.

6) “Annabelle” (2014)

5.4/10 on IMDb

Teddy bears? No. Building blocks? No. The only toy suitable for this demon is a ragged, life sized doll with overly blushed cheeks and a motive to kill.

5) “The Exorcist” (1973)

8/10 on IMDb

Known as a classic horror movie, the Exorcist may not have high tech special effects but still scares. When a superstar’s daughter begins to act strangely, she calls for the help of a priest as chaos ensues.

4) “The Babadook” (2014)

6.8/10 on IMDb

After the tragic death of her husband, Amelia is left alone with a troubled child and a closet full of skeletons, but everything changes when a mysterious book pops up in her son’s library and plagues the pair with unresolved mysteries happening around their house.

3) “Poltergeist” (1982 and 2015)

7.4/10 and 4.9/10 on IMDb, respectively

Technology has changed the way we live drastically, demonstrated through the frightening plot of this movie. When a spirit begins to communicate through a static filled TV, a run-of-the-mill family is changed forever. 

2) “The Conjuring” (2013)

7.5/10 on IMDb

Based on true events, a family of seven is plagued by the evil spirits looming in their new home. After calling upon two famous mediums and supernatural advisors, they realize that the demon they’re fighting is worse than they thought.

1) ”It” (1990 and 2017)

6.9/10 and 7.4/10 on IMDb

When their friend suddenly disappears, seven children from a small town in Maine have to face their worst fears to get him back.  

About the Writer
Skylar Butts, Staff Writer

Hi! I'm Skylar. If I had a choice, I would be sleeping right now, but I'm at school. I love arguing and writing, and I can't wait to be a part of the SVHS...