A new world vision to end world hunger

Yearly 30-hour famine returns

Senior Maddy Horberg and Tina Olcott plan how to take the rest of the food from the 30 hour famine breakfast back to Olcotts room last year, on April 18.

Margret Edmonson

Senior Maddy Horberg and Tina Olcott plan how to take the rest of the food from the 30 hour famine breakfast back to Olcott’s room last year, on April 18.

Laney Rendon, Editor-in-Chief

The annual 30-hour famine began last night at midnight and will continue to tomorrow morning with a breakfast in senior dining for all who participated. Family and Community Services(FACS) students set up booths in the senior dining hall and rotunda last week for sign ups.

“With this famine I believe that we Smithson Valley will be able to not only become enlightened on hard subjects,” senior Eleise Holbrook said, “but also create a positive impact.”

World Vision promotes the 30 Hour Famine to help those who suffer from hunger and poverty. Participants are expected to miss three main meals and only drink water and juice during these 30 hours.

“I think it’s a great way to support the people who go through this on an every day basis!” senior Damita Mendoza said.

In order to participate, students must pay a $10 fee and can receive 15 service hours if they participate in the entirety of 30 hours of hunger. For those who would like to donate but not participate, students can receive five service hours if they still donate the $10. Those with diabetes, reactive hypoglycemia, an eating disorder or any combination of biological, psychological and environmental conditions which could potentially result in an eating disorder are encouraged to not try the 30-hour famine.

“It’s like emotionally draining and it changes your mood,” senior Mckelvie Maxwell said. “And also makes you act out of character.”

Any student participating is welcome to juice found at the entrance of Tina Olcott’s FACS room in C106.