Jacob Valadez

Senior running back Brayden Bafidis celebrates his receiving touchdown with teammates Kyler Clarke and Ty Stone in their 30-7 victory against Cedar Park Nov. 11.

Football saddles up against Manvel

Football rides into Bastrop Friday to face the Manvel Mavericks in a 5A Division I matchup.

The Rangers (10-1) extended their nine-game winning streak with a 30-7 victory over Cedar Park while Manvel defeated Waltrip on the road 42-3.

Hours after the first real norther of the season blew into the Hill Country Nov. 11, senior quarterback Chase Senelick turned in a 93-yard performance on 10 completions out of 22 attempts. Senior running back Douglas Lantz carried the ball 15 times for 85 yards.

Crossing the goal line were senior wide receiver Kyler Clarke and senior running back Brayden Bafidis on two receptions while senior safety David De Hoyos returned a punt for 74 yards and the score. Junior kicker Clayton Amaya added three field goals and three extra points.

Against Manvel, the Ranger defense will have to keep an eye on senior quarterback Kaeden Smith, who has completed 106 passes out of 194 attempts and 1,397 yards.

Smith’s favorite target is senior Javhari Taylor (25 receptions, 326 yards) who switches between wide receiver and defensive back. Senior running back Steve Polk has piled up 559 yards on the season in 102 rushes.

They will have their hands full with defenders who like to harass offenses, take the ball away and spend time in the end zone. 

Senior linebacker Gavin Woods has had 90 tackles (12 for a loss), two sacks, four hurries and two interceptions. 

His counterpart, senior linebacker Nick Dudzikowski, has racked up 80 tackles (19 for a loss), three sacks, six hurries and three interceptions (one for a touchdown). 

They are joined by safety De Hoyos, responsible for 57 tackles, one fumble recovery and three interceptions (one for a touchdown) and Weston Ross, with his 49 tackles, one fumble recovery and three interceptions (one for a touchdown).

On the other side of the ball, Senelick has thrown 130 completions in 181 passes for 1,837 yards and 22 touchdowns in the air and on the ground. Junior quarterback Ryland Walker has gotten some snaps – 33 of 43, 296 yards, two touchdowns.

Senior running back Doug Lantz handles running duties with 565 yards on 125 carries and six touchdowns. Senior receiver T.J. Hunt leads all receivers with 47 catches, 966 yards and 10 touchdowns.

Friday’s winner will take on the winner of Friday’s game between A&M Consolidated (9-2, 6-1 district) and Fulshear (10-1, 7-1 district) for the Region 3 title.

Valley Ventana • Copyright 2024 • FLEX WordPress Theme by SNOLog in