Striving for success

Abby Permenter stands as the leader in FFA

Courtesy of Abby Permenter

Abby Permenter (right) with the milk quality judging team at their state competition.

Amanda Allen, Staff Writer

Raising animals isn’t something new to senior Abby Permenter. The Future Farmers of America Chapter President and District Secretary has been involved in FFA since freshman year, competing in the Chapter Conducting and Quiz team in the fall and Milk Quality team in the spring.

“I’ve shown market lambs for the past three years, and I also helped lead our Plant Sale last year and helped with it this year as well,” Permenter said. 

Permenter is known for having an incredibly high success rate when it comes to Milk Quality competitions. She won a $1,000 scholarship after winning the competition at Tarleton State University.

“We put in the work in and out of school,” Permenter said. “We also have great, experienced teachers to coach us. Our teams spend a lot of time with each other so we’ve become very bonded.” 

As Permenter inches closer towards graduation, she is well prepared for her career after high school. Permenter will attend Texas A&M University and major in agriculture economics.

“My long term goal is to represent farmers, ranchers, and workers in the agriculture industry by pursuing a legislative career in the Texas government,” Permenter said.

Ag science teacher and FFA advisor, Tara Pennartz, claims Abby has an impeccable work ethic that proves her to make her very successful in her future endeavors. 

“She strives for success in everything she does and accepts constructive criticism with grace and intent,” Pennartz said. 

Permenter is in the top 30 students in her class of over 700 and holds herself to a higher standard than most kids her age.

“Abby excels in intrapersonal relations, working with a team, leading a group, and her MQP team,” Pennartz continued. 

Senior Jacy White, a close friend of Abby’s in her Ag class, concurs with Tara Pennartz and believes in Permenter’s passion for animals. 

“She is a good leader and loves what she does,” White said. “(She) is very passionate about it.”