Hudson Woods throws his arms out after a play before getting into position
Hudson Woods climbs to new heights after standout sophomore season
Jonathan Jones, Sports Writer • May 18, 2024
Joshua Velasquez committed to serving his country in the U.S. Army.
Beyond basic
Margaret Edmonson, Adviser • May 17, 2024
Sydney Rakowitz will study education and training and music at the University of Incarnate Word.
Seniors sign to continue athletic, non-athletic careers
Valley Ventana, Staff • May 16, 2024
Boy Scouts of America announced on May 7 the organizations name will change to Scouting America on the organizations 115th birthday Feb. 8, 2025. Photo by JV via unsplash.com
Boy Scouts changing name after 115 years
Grayson Cook, Staff writer • May 15, 2024
The top 15 students in the senior class receive special recognition at graduation on May 22 due to their hard work throughout high school. 
Graphic by Alex Whelchel via Canva
Profile: Top 15 seniors
Alex Whelchel, Managing Editor • May 13, 2024

Volleyball to host Seguin for senior night

Playoffs start Oct. 30-31
Daniel Grant
Senior Macie Mathis, who has verbally committed to Texas Tech, slams the ball against Canyon Tuesday at home. The team lost 1-3 to the district leader and sit fourth in the seeding for playoffs.

The volleyball team, currently fourth in district, faces Seguin at home on Tuesday for the final district matchup and senior night.

Canyon (11-1) sits atop District 26 5A followed by 9-3 Tivy. Pieper is tied with the Rangers at 8-4. However, Pieper defeated Smithson Valley 3-2 in both district matchups on Sept. 7 and Oct. 3.

The Rangers take on Boerne Champion at their gym on Friday and celebrate senior night against Seguin on Tuesday. Playoffs start Oct. 30-31.

Smithson Valley (26-14 overall) lost a crucial 1-3 game to Canyon on Oct. 17 in what could have changed seeding for playoffs.

The Rangers had a slew of injuries in the first half of the season, according to head coach Melissa Miller.

Senior Olivia Fuentes leads the team in kills with 323 and receptions with 661. Megan Zamora anchors the defense with 69 blocks while also leading in service aces with 39. Brittan Fedyk dives all over the floor with 553 digs, and Marlowe Berry sets her team up with 669 assists.

Fedyk, Macie Mathis, Kendall Reidel, Fuentes, Zamora, Savannah Leonard and Makenna Hanscom will be recognized on senior night after the 5:30 p.m. junior varsity game.

‘They have done a lot for this program and this school,” Miller wrote in an email, “and we’d love for them to feel that love and appreciation with a full house on the night of their last volleyball game in the SV gym.”