Linebacker signs with ACU

Senior Jack Gibbens, surrounded by his football coaches, signs his commitment to play at Abilene Christian University Feb. 6

Wes Cornelius

Ryan Heare, Staff Writer

Jack Gibbens rose up and snatched the interception and turned up field to return the ball 50 yards and the touchdown in what proved to be a critical play in the 2017 Texas high school all star game, a storied ending to a storied high school career.

“It was fun to share the field with some of the best in the state, especially the guys we’ve been able to compete with for four years,” said Gibbens. “ It was a really cool experience.”

Since then, Gibbens has committed to Abilene Christian University for the duration of his college career. ACU will look for Gibbens to be a key run stopper from the linebacker position, as well as a cornerstone to lead the team to new heights.

“They just got a new coach, and I believe in the direction of the program,” Gibbens said. “It’s a Division I school, and it’s always been my dream from the time I was a kid to play for a Division I program.”

As he moves on to his college career, Gibbens reflected on his time at Smithson Valley as crucial to his development as a football player, and as a human being.

“It’s been a blessing to play here and be apart of the rich tradition here and be able to add to it,” he said. “It’s taught me to work hard for everything and dedicate yourself to everything in order to be successful.”

With eyes on the future, Gibbens looks ready to carry on the tradition of great defensive players and contribute to an up and coming ACU Wildcats this fall.