The top 15 students in the senior class receive special recognition at graduation on May 22 due to their hard work throughout high school. 
Graphic by Alex Whelchel via Canva
Profile: Top 15 seniors
Alex Whelchel, Managing Editor • May 13, 2024
Posing for a picture as Area Champs, the softball team deafeated South San Antonio for the second time sweeping them in the series 2-0. The team will look to play Liberty Hill this Thursday at 6:00 p.m. at home and on Friday at Liberty Hill at 5:00 p.m.
Ranger Roundup
Sports staffMay 8, 2024
Valley Ventana’s weekly Connections game: Week of May 6. Photo via Canva
Connections: Week of May 6
Valley Ventana, Staff • May 8, 2024
Junior Sean Mendez laughs as his group members junior Travis Collins and Sophomore Tyler Dolly row their boat across the pool. They successfully made it to the finish line.
Staying afloat: Physics classes complete annual boat racing project
Bethany Mann, Editor-in-Chief • May 7, 2024
Senior Ella Pickron clears the 13 foot bar at the state track meet on May 3. Pickron was the only one in the girls 5A division to clear this height, securing her a first place win. (Photo by Davis Kuhn)
Gallery: State track meet
StaffMay 6, 2024

Chasing victory

Senior to compete at state track
Alyssa Hennessey
Senior Jazmyn Singh runs down the track during the 400m dash at the region competition April 19.

Jazmyn Singh hears her heart beating in her chest as she slows, passing the finish line. She has come in first, suddenly the years of training all seem worth it.

Singh will compete in the state tournament on Friday in the 4×4 and 400 meter. She placed first in both events at region on April 19-20.

Since the age of ten, Singh has been running track, and now, being a senior on the brink of graduating, what started as a simple hobby has grown into something much more.

This year Singh placed first in the 4×4 relay, 4×1 relay, and the 400 at the Texas Relays, a highly impressive feat for the Senior runner.

Singh didn’t just accomplish out of the blue though, she sticks to a vigorous schedule of training and prep.

It’s all about repetition, doing the same runs over and over again in order to get her body and mind prepared for the track.

“It’s all about conserving energy,” Singh said.  “Keeping speed but staying relaxed and keeping pace.”

She prepares for the specific events she runs, at Texas Relays she didn’t compete in the 800 as she felt she didn’t have the proper training.

Of all her accomplishments, her fondest is from winning state for the 4×4 relay. 

“We were all exhausted and tired but we gave it our best,” Singh said. “It was exhilarating to see what place we were in and to come to the finish line in first place.” 

Among these achievements she was also a Nike Nationals All-Pro 1st in 2022.

Training with her coach at school, as well as outside of school whenever she can, Singh’s schedule is a tough balance of academics and athletics, but she keeps her head up and motivated.

When asked who she looks up to as a runner she said Sydney McLaughlin, the Olympian runner and hurdler, saying it was nice to see someone of similar faith be able to achieve her dreams.

Singh will be attendingPrinceton University in the fall to run track and plans to be either a veterinarian or a biologist.