School announces new ticket sales policy

Parents will get first dibs, then season ticket holders and finally students

Danielle Esperiqueta

The band’s halftime show will look a lot different this year.

Jackson Posey, Sports Editor

Minutia can become an afterthought amid a global pandemic. One such bit of minutia is protocol for football game admission after the UIL announced a 50% cap on attendance… although that one didn’t exactly slip the minds of the public.

The issue was not merely whether fans would attend games – Comal ISD has been one of the most staunchly pro-school/activity districts in the area. But who should get the tickets (parents, students or season ticket holders) remained an issue, and one the general public wanted answers on. Well, the school obliged, and issued a ticket acquisition schedule.

Tickets will go on sale here at 9:00 a.m. every game week Monday. Parents of students involved in the game (football players, trainers, cheerleaders, dancers, band members) may buy up to four tickets.

On Tuesday, ticket sales will expand to season ticket holders without a game-involved student. Each season ticket holder will be able to purchase up to two tickets.

Wednesday morning, ticket sales are finally open to the public, although the number of remaining tickets is still to be determined, as that 50% capacity rule applies to band, cheer and dance as well as patrons. Each interested individual may buy up to four tickets until the capacity limit is reached. There will be no tickets sold at the gate.

The debate over who gets to attend games is one that rages at the college and professional levels, as well. It is an issue of particular passion at large universities such as Texas A&M, which typically sees large student attendance at games but also has to balance the financial aspect of allowing (or barring) alumni and other donors back into the stadium.

NFL teams are taking a wide range of precautions in concordance with local government and health authorities, from the Dallas Cowboys capping attendance at under 50% to the Houston Texans not permitting fans through at least September to the New York Jets and Giants, who have already committed to a season without in-person fans (at the behest of Gov. Phil Murphy).

The UIL is still updating COVID-19 guidelines, so the bar could be moved at any moment. Will the district push back fall sports again like San Antonio ISD? How about the TEA or Gov. Greg Abbott? It’s no use speculating about the unknowable. But one thing’s for sure: football’s (almost) back, baby.