Hudson Woods throws his arms out after a play before getting into position
Hudson Woods climbs to new heights after standout sophomore season
Jonathan Jones, Sports Writer • May 18, 2024
Joshua Velasquez committed to serving his country in the U.S. Army.
Beyond basic
Margaret Edmonson, Adviser • May 17, 2024
Sydney Rakowitz will study education and training and music at the University of Incarnate Word.
Seniors sign to continue athletic, non-athletic careers
Valley Ventana, Staff • May 16, 2024
Boy Scouts of America announced on May 7 the organizations name will change to Scouting America on the organizations 115th birthday Feb. 8, 2025. Photo by JV via unsplash.com
Boy Scouts changing name after 115 years
Grayson Cook, Staff writer • May 15, 2024
The top 15 students in the senior class receive special recognition at graduation on May 22 due to their hard work throughout high school. 
Graphic by Alex Whelchel via Canva
Profile: Top 15 seniors
Alex Whelchel, Managing Editor • May 13, 2024

A new occupation

Lauren Boswell changes from algebra two teacher to comal academy advisor
Running+an+errand+during+fifth+period+Lauren+Boswell+stops+to+pose+for+a+picture+
Solily San Miguel
Running an errand during fifth period Lauren Boswell stops to pose for a picture

Algebra 2 teacher Lauren Boswell made the switch from math teacher to Comal Academy advisor at the beginning of the school year. Comal Academy is the online high school course students take to make school easier and graduate early. 

“I got pulled into the principal’s office,” Boswell said. “(The principal) thought this job would be really good for me. (She said) I was really good with these kinds of kids, and recommended me for the job.”

Debating the choice of starting a new chapter with Comal Academy students Boswell went to her friend, statistics teacher Claudia Soliz, to discuss. 

“She asked if it was a good idea,” Soliz said. “I told her it would be a good transition.”

Changing to a new environment is a challenge, but it can sometimes lead to a better turnout than expected. 

“It’s got a lot of pluses and minuses,” Boswell said. “Do I miss the kiddos, yes, but I definitely don’t miss grading till seven to eight at night or over the weekend.”

Students who had Boswell for both algebra and Comal Academy notice a change in her frame of mind. 

“I’ve had her since I first got to the district,” Junior Lisette Traut said. “I thought she was gonna be mean, but then I got out here and (now) she’s one of my favorite teachers in the district.” 

The opportunity resulted as a good choice for Boswell since she still gets to teach students without as much chaos as before. 

Though she will miss teaching algebra, Comal Academy allows her to help students who truly need her.

“I feel very blessed to be in this position,” Boswell said. “To be able to help these kiddos out and get them over that graduation threshold.”