The student news site of Smithson Valley High School in Spring Branch, Texas

Evie Armour stars as Iphigenia in the one-act play that competes at region.
Shining Armour
Alissa Kastle, Staff Writer • April 25, 2024
The golf team will compete at state Monday at the Legacy Hills Golf Club. Golfers including as Zach Seader, Aiden Page, Anniiston Mcllwain, Cole Cantu, and Ryan Griff will represent the boys team, while Sayers Allen will play.
Ranger Roundup
Sports staffApril 24, 2024
Valley Ventana’s weekly Connections game: Week of April 22. Photo via Canva
Connections: Week of April 22
Valley Ventana, Staff • April 23, 2024
Wrestling coach Tim Clarkson was named the 5A Region IV Coach of the Year by his peers. Music by MorningLightMusic on YT
Wrestling coach named tops for Region IV 5A
April 22, 2024
Junior Sayers Allen poses for a photo at the golf region competition on April 17. Photo via SVHS Golf.
Swinging it into high gear
Grayson Cook, Staff Writer • April 19, 2024

On to state

Football faces returning champion Aledo tonight

For the first time since 2004, the football team will compete for a state championship today after trouncing Brownsville Veterans Memorial 49-21 on Dec. 8 to claim their spot in the 5A Division I state finals. 

With a score of 49-0 at the beginning of the second half, Coach Larry Hill pulled all starters and gave his backups some state semifinal experience, which could come in handy as they face returning two-time state champion Aledo Bearcats. Kickoff is at 7 p.m., and the game will be aired on Bally Sports and Rangers Network.

The offense racked up 348 yards – 100 passing and 248 rushing. The Rangers dominated the run accumulating a total of 6 rushing touchdowns. Running into the endzone rushing were junior RB Brad Sowersby, senior WR/DB Cole Freund (two touchdown), junior RB Daniel De Hoyos (two touchdowns) and freshman RB Caleb Peagler The singular passing touchdown was from a 75-yard jet sweep to Freund.

Defensively the Rangers held Veterans Memorial to a total of 168 yards. Veterans Memorial struggled with passing, only having a total of 30 passing yards and an interception picked off by junior safety Diego Davila. The defense also held Veterans Memorial to 138 rushing yards, with 19 tackles for losses and 4 sacks.

The Rangers scored the first points of the game with a 29-yard run by Sowersby with 6:56 left in the first. The next score came shortly after with a 17-yard pass to Freund with 2:19 minutes left in the first. Freund scored again on a 7-yard run early in the second quarter. With nine minutes left in the second, De Hoyos scored an 8-yard rushing touchdown; 7 minutes later, De Hoyos scored again with a 3-yard rushing touchdown to put the Rangers up 35-0 at halftime. 

With 11:46 left in the third quarter, Freund scored a 75-yard touchdown run. With the clock 3:35 in the third, freshman running back Caleb Peagler scored a 1 -yard rushing touchdown bringing the score to 49-0 going into the fourth quarter.

To buy tickets for the game, go to https://seatgeek.com/uil-high-school-football-state-championships-tickets . Tickets cost $20 for general admission.