Opinion: Stop shaming people for premature Christmas spirit

Alex Whelchel via Canva infographics

As people begin putting up Christmas decorations early, controversy arises.

Alex Whelchel, Staff Writer

History teacher Kesa Kemp has set up her Christmas tree.

With the Christmas season sitting on everyone’s doorstep, some are weary to let it in too early.

For years, the anticipation of Christmas has been halted by the less appealing holiday, Thanksgiving. As a matter of fact, 59% of the student body deems that anytime before Thanksgiving is too early to prepare for Christmas. But the reality is, Christmas is a season, and Thanksgiving just happens to fall into it.

Many students including senior Scarlett Hendricks and junior Reid Wagner, say that it’s important to celebrate Thanksgiving first, and not ruin the magic of Christmas by decorating too early. But the professionals say that decorating early can actually have some neurological benefits.

A study done by the British website, Unilad, revealed that hanging up those stockings a little early can lift more than just your Christmas spirits. According to Psychologist Deborah Serani, putting up the decorations early can create a neurological shift that produces serotonin, making a person happier.

Along with creating more joy, preparing earlier can make a person appear more friendly and welcoming to neighbors. As reported by the Journal of Environmental Psychology, houses with the presence of decorations appeared more cohesive and friendly to nearby residents.

With these in mind, it brings up the question ‘why wait’? Just because Thanksgiving exists, doesn’t mean people don’t have the right to bring a little extra happiness into their lives by stringing up those lights earlier than is socially acceptable.

People should stop saying it’s too early to decorate for Christmas and let others decorate when they feel the time is right.