Evie Armour stars as Iphigenia in the one-act play that competes at region.
Shining Armour
Alissa Kastle, Staff Writer • April 25, 2024
The golf team will compete at state Monday at the Legacy Hills Golf Club. Golfers including as Zach Seader, Aiden Page, Anniiston Mcllwain, Cole Cantu, and Ryan Griff will represent the boys team, while Sayers Allen will play.
Ranger Roundup
Sports staffApril 24, 2024
Valley Ventana’s weekly Connections game: Week of April 22. Photo via Canva
Connections: Week of April 22
Valley Ventana, Staff • April 23, 2024
Wrestling coach Tim Clarkson was named the 5A Region IV Coach of the Year by his peers. Music by MorningLightMusic on YT
Wrestling coach named tops for Region IV 5A
April 22, 2024
Junior Sayers Allen poses for a photo at the golf region competition on April 17. Photo via SVHS Golf.
Swinging it into high gear
Grayson Cook, Staff Writer • April 19, 2024

TEA should not change the way it rates districts

The TEA has changed the way districts are rated, prompting a lawsuit from multiple districts around Texas. Photo by Jeswin Thomas via Unsplash

The Texas Education Agency releases a rating on every district in Texas each year, so parents can see how their districts perform.. Changes to the way the TEA rates districts were set to be released on Sept. 28, but districts were not made aware ahead of time As a result, more than 100 school districts – including Comal ISD – are suing TEA over this change.

TEA should issue ratings based on the previous standards until districts have a chance to adjust to the changes.

Districts especially object to changes in the way college, career and military readiness scores are figured. Originally, an A was granted if 60 percent of seniors went to college, a non-college career or the military after graduation, but TEA wants to change it to 88 percent. That’s an almost 50 percent increase  – without letting the districts know beforehand.

With such a big change, ratings would drop significantly. Many parents rely on these ratings to get a feel for how their district is performing, but with such a drastic and sudden change, neither the parents nor the districts can get a fair evaluation.

The rating system has been flawed for years with low income communities disproportionately receiving D and F ratings. School districts gets funding based on local property taxes and the school demographics, which means not all schools receive the same amount of money. Without proper resources to teach students, they are not able to receive high ratings. 

Judge Catherine Mauzy in Travis County sided with districts and blocked TEA from releasing this year’s ratings. The agency says the ruling disregards the rules of the state and prevents parents from getting crucial information. Instead, TEA needs to follow its own rules. The TEA Code 39.0542 requires the agency to provide districts with a simple and accessible document outlining how ratings are given. Although the districts were given this document, it was not updated to the new standards, so its own code was not followed, prompting the lawsuit.

TEA should stick to its previous standards until districts have had an opportunity to adjust to the new ones. Additionally, the judge should continue siding with the districts and not allow the ratings to be released this year.