Evie Armour stars as Iphigenia in the one-act play that competes at region.
Shining Armour
Alissa Kastle, Staff Writer • April 25, 2024
The golf team will compete at state Monday at the Legacy Hills Golf Club. Golfers including as Zach Seader, Aiden Page, Anniiston Mcllwain, Cole Cantu, and Ryan Griff will represent the boys team, while Sayers Allen will play.
Ranger Roundup
Sports staffApril 24, 2024
Valley Ventana’s weekly Connections game: Week of April 22. Photo via Canva
Connections: Week of April 22
Valley Ventana, Staff • April 23, 2024
Wrestling coach Tim Clarkson was named the 5A Region IV Coach of the Year by his peers. Music by MorningLightMusic on YT
Wrestling coach named tops for Region IV 5A
April 22, 2024
Junior Sayers Allen poses for a photo at the golf region competition on April 17. Photo via SVHS Golf.
Swinging it into high gear
Grayson Cook, Staff Writer • April 19, 2024

Texas lawmakers should not pass school vouchers

Getty Images
Gov. Greg Abbott speaks during a news conference on March 15, 2023 in Austin, Texas. Gov. (Photo by Brandon Bell/Getty Images)

Texas has prided itself on its public school system since it was established in 1854, but Gov. Greg Abbott is threatening to change that. Abbott called a special session on Oct. 9 to vote on a school voucher program that would give families state money to pay for their children’s private school education. However, despite multiple attempts, it has not passed. It should never pass.

Using taxpayer dollars to pay for a student’s private school takes money away from the public school system. Schools that will be impacted most are in impoverished areas that already lack enough funding. Most parents who send their kids to private school do so because they do not believe local public schools provide a good education. But a good education requires funding.

Underfunded public schools cannot provide a well-rounded education because they are not given the financial ability to contain a variety of classes and school programs.  If money is taken away from these schools, the conditions will worsen.

Furthermore, private schools are not regulated by the Texas Education Agency, the organization in charge of public schools. They are regulated by the Texas Private School Accreditation Commission.  While the job of this organization is to make sure private schools provide a quality education, they do not have to follow the same criteria as public schools. Students at private schools do not have to take the State of Texas Assessment of Academic Readiness, so the state has no way of regulating what is being taught at private schools.

This means that government money is being used by schools that don’t have to follow the state curriculum while taking money away from the schools that do follow government regulations

Parents who want vouchers to send their kids to private school argue they just want to give their kids the best education they can. However,  the state’s money should go to the public school system. Public schools need funding to function, and the voucher program threatens to decrease their funding.

Public education is one of the equalizers in the U.S., but taking money away from the system and giving it to private schools will make it inequitable. The school vouchers should not pass.