Evie Armour stars as Iphigenia in the one-act play that competes at region.
Shining Armour
Alissa Kastle, Staff Writer • April 25, 2024
The golf team will compete at state Monday at the Legacy Hills Golf Club. Golfers including as Zach Seader, Aiden Page, Anniiston Mcllwain, Cole Cantu, and Ryan Griff will represent the boys team, while Sayers Allen will play.
Ranger Roundup
Sports staffApril 24, 2024
Valley Ventana’s weekly Connections game: Week of April 22. Photo via Canva
Connections: Week of April 22
Valley Ventana, Staff • April 23, 2024
Wrestling coach Tim Clarkson was named the 5A Region IV Coach of the Year by his peers. Music by MorningLightMusic on YT
Wrestling coach named tops for Region IV 5A
April 22, 2024
Junior Sayers Allen poses for a photo at the golf region competition on April 17. Photo via SVHS Golf.
Swinging it into high gear
Grayson Cook, Staff Writer • April 19, 2024

2023 volleyball slams their imprint in Texas Showdown History

Olivia Ingram
Varsity shaking hands with Veterans Memorial after a win. Shown in the photo starting from the left is senior Olivia Fuentes, junior Braelyn Byno, junior Amanda Teran, and junior Marlowe Berry.

For a team that struggled with injuries and chemistry at the beginning of the season, things started to look up at the Texas Showdown Aug. 24-26.

They shut out Schertz Clemens, LaVernia, San Angelo Central and Buda Johnson and dropped only one set each to Warren and Houston Memorial.. 

Their cruise to the finale faced its first obstacle in their matchup against Antonian.

“It just really showed us that we got to kick it in here and it gave us more incentive to work harder towards obtaining what we wanted, which is taking first,” senior right-side hitter Olivia Fuentes said.

They then won the next two sets and took home the trophy for the second time in three years.

Macie Mathis, senior outside hitter, tore a muscle in her thigh in the team’s first scrimmage but was able to make it back to the court in time for the tournament.”

“It was the first time the team all came together and played together,” she said.

Senior middle blocker Megan Zamora and senior defensive specialist Brittan Fedyk were selected to the All-Tournament Team, and Fuentes won Tournament MVP. Mathis also received the San Antonio Express-News game ball for her performance in the tournament.

The rollercoaster 2023 season (28-16) ended with a fourth place in district and a first round playoff loss to Liberty Hill on Oct. 31.

“The season was full of a lot of injuries, a lot of setbacks,” Fedyk said. “We had a really good season even if we did not end up where we wanted.”