Hoops Teams Head into District

Boys and girls go into district season with winning record

Makana Dursley

Junior guard Trinity Garrett plays defense against Laredo Alexander High School. Garret set the school career assists record this week with 234.

Parker Maroney, Staff Writer

The Rangers are about to begin their district season this week, and this is how the boys and girls basketball teams are doing going into the 2nd part of the season.They faced San Antonio Harlan in a game on Tuesday, with boys varsity losing 100-78 at the Harlan district gym. Key players like  Austin Kenwisher and Devante Mount accounted for most of the team’s points, with 28 and 20 points, respectively. At the Georgetown Tournament, which occurred on Dec. 5th and 6th. They played five games, facing Northwest Nelson, Kyle Lehman, Round Rock McNeil, Churchill and Pflugerville Connally. The Rangers pulled out two wins, against Round Rock McNeil and Pflugerville Connally. The next week, they secured a victory over Sam Houston High School, led by Owen Woodard (19 points) and Austin Kenwisher (15 points). 

Girls Varsity competed in the New Braunfels Canyon/New Braunfels tournament on Dec. 5, 6 and 7. They played in four games, and won three, against Round Rock Westwood, New Braunfels and San Antonio Antonian. They won again on Dec. 10 against San Antonio Churchill. Last night

“Win a district championship, and make the regional tournament,” coach Matthew Sutherland said of his goals for the team.

Anika McGarity also has goals for the season.

“Our goals are to win the district championship and go past the second round of the playoffs,” senior guard Anika McGarity said.

McGarity has a more centralized view about the teams toughest competition.

“Our toughest competition will probably be Steele,” McGarity said.

As always, our district will be tough. Coach Sutherland gives his thoughts on this.  “Our entire district will be competitive” Sutherland said.

Girls basketball will be starting the district season today, and will be going into the season with a 15-3 non-district record. The sky is the limit for these girls, and they have the potential to reach them.