Takin’ a-rrest

Resource officer closing door on campus career

End of an Era: Bidding farewell, Dustin McCarley ends his career as a resource officer. Gary Noegel will replace him this month.

Emma Sipple

Emma Sipple, Staff Writer

Four years of watching over the school. Four years of helping staff and students. Four years of working in Comal ISD, and the end of October marked the end of Officer Dustin McCarley’s job at the school.
McCarley left his post as campus resource officer and will be replaced by Garry Noegel.
“I will miss everything about the school,” McCarley said. “I think that being here and being visible has helped people come forward and approach law enforcement when they otherwise would not have.”
Principal Michael Wahl will miss the strong relationships McCarley built with the students.
“He made himself part of the school,” Wahl said. “When he would help out in the extracurricular activities, he saw (the kids) in other lights.”
As well as dealing with crimes that occurred, McCarley also gave students legal advice and helped them in personal matters. According to Dean Hofer, McCarley really made himself part of the school’s family.
“He made himself part of the school,” Hofer said. “He went far and beyond written responsibility to help out.”
McCarley used his contacts as a law enforcement officer to provide hands-ons instruction for the students.
“Last year, I had the Texas state troopers accident reconstruction team come and give a course reenacting a vehicle crash,” McCarley said.
His successor, Noegel, brings even knowledge and experience to the job.
“Deputy Noegel is a good friend of mine,” McCarley said. “He is a retired military member and was the chief of police at Schertz Cibolo Universal City ISD.”
The school will be left in good hands, McCarley said, but the end is bittersweet.
“A combination of my education and work experience has allowed me to progress, and I’m fortunate to be moving on,” McCarley said, “but I’m also sad to be leaving Smithson Valley.”