Keeping their shape

Girls’ soccer enters second round of district

Margaret Edmonson

Sophomore Tatianna Herrera takes the ball up the line in a preseason game against Uvalde, in which the Rangers won 10-1.

Emma Siebold, Staff Writer

The varsity girls’ soccer team is entering uncharted waters for their second round of district play. 

Though they did not finish the  first round unscathed, the girls record stood at an impressive 4-2-1 for their first seven games. Unfortunately, the Rangers faced Clemens to start off the second round, and fell 3-0 to the Buffs. 

Junior forward Jewel Mann leads the team in points with her 14 goals this season, with freshman Sabrina Taber close behind with 12. Taylor Swenson, a current sophomore and freshman varsity player, leads the team in assists with nine.

The season is far from over, and head coach Jason Adkins comments on how the team has played throughout the season so far. 

“[Their] stand out trait is their consistent hard work and positive attitude,” Adkins said. “I am proud of how they have stuck together no matter what adversity has been thrown their way.”

Adkins’ most pressing concern is his players’ well-being.

“The biggest concerns are players’ health,” Adkins said. “It is a long, hard season with a lot of games and we try to keep the players healthy and able to play.”

This past Tuesday night, the Rangers faced Canyon, the current district leader. The first half was hard-fought by both teams, with Canyon scoring on a quick breakaway, and the Rangers tied the game with junior captain Kendall Spillman’s through ball to Jewel Mann. Though sophomore keeper Melyna Martinez made some astonishing saves, the pressure from Canyon defeated the Rangers 4-1. 

Senior captain Rachel Dzuiba plans for the team to overcome adversity. 

“This team is really close and well bonded,” Dzuiba said. “We’ve had some ups and downs throughout the season but all of us have a really positive attitude and are looking to turn it around in the second half of the season.”

The girls will have to put in enormous amounts of effort to make a playoff appearance, but Dzuiba is not worried about the team’s work ethic.

“We continue to improve every day at practice and we work better together every day,” Dzuiba said. “I look forward to the rest of the season with this team!”

Their record currently stands as 4-4-1 in district, and there are plenty of games left in the season to shut the rest of the district down.