Redemption season

Boys soccer starts district after 2020 season ended early

Abel Capetillo

Sophomore Matthew Capetillo chips the ball out of the Ranger’s middle third against McCollum. The boys beat the Cowboys 3-0, taking their fifth and final win of the preseason.

Emma Siebold, Sports Editor

After COVID-19 stole the end of their 2020 season, boys soccer prepares make up for lost time and lost hopes.

That team graduated nine seniors in May, but some of the top scorers, including seniors Ryan Harley and Devin Yocham, return to play in a season that carries head coach Eric Nichols’ high expectations.

I want our team to get to finish what they started,” Nichols said. “I want them to have a chance to finish their season and for them to look back to see what obstacles they had to overcome and the success they were able to have.”

The new year brings new competition; South San Antonio (who had a rough 1-9-2 record last season) and Wagner (with a previous record of 9-3-2) replaced Canyon and San Marcos.

“I want us to be competitive and take our shot at the district title,” Nichols said. “As a coach, I want the most of each player. Don’t leave questions out there of whether or not you gave everything in the game or at practice.”

As a captain and starting goalkeeper, Micah Jenkins takes on the responsibility of guiding the team through uncharted waters.

I’d like to continue to take the leadership role as a goalkeeper that I have on the field to keep my back line and the rest of the team in check,” Jenkins said. “I’m working to be a vocal captain that constantly is communicating to help the players be aware of their surroundings. To achieve our goal of becoming district champs, and moving far into playoffs, as a team, we need to keep the ball moving and play off each other and be selfless.”

Undefeated for five straight games, the Rangers recently travelled to Lake Travis, where they fell to the nationally ranked Cavaliers 3-0.

The Rangers face Wagner to kick off district play, prepared to make their debut as a new team with new goals.