New recruits

Seven athletes sign to play college sports

Emma Siebold, Sports Editor

Seven Rangers signed to continue their roles as student-athletes on National Signing Day this morning.

Soccer

Helene Farris signed to the University of Texas at San Antonio to continue her soccer career. This season is Farris’ first at Smithson Valley since transferring from LEE, yet she already has six goals and eight assists in nine games. Farris is not sure what she is majoring in yet, but she chose UTSA for the positive environment and close location.

“The coaches were different than any other experience and it’s close to home,” Farris said.

For more of Farris’ life on and off the field, read Tim Tschoepe’s feature here

Golf

The golf program had two athletes sign this morning, Owen Page and David Beck. Page, signing to the University of Arkansas at Monticello and majoring in business, is a four-year member of the golf program, a two-time River Crossing Jr. Club Champion and a member of the Texas team vs Oklahoma on the Texas Junior Golf Tour. 

David Beck committed to play golf at Schreiner University in Kerrville, and he will be majoring in accounting. Head coach Jason Pape describes Beck as a “tremendous player” with a bright future ahead of him.

“[Beck is] one of the hardest working kids that I have ever had in any sports program,” Pape said.

Wrestling

Reed Evans, this year’s wrestling team captain, signed to the University of the Ozarks. Evans, despite having only a year of experience, was a district medalist and a regional qualifier this season. Evans will be majoring in business. 

Football

This season’s kicker, Austin Hosier, signed to play D1 football at Wagner College. Hosier achieved the title of an all-area athlete, hitting 11/13 FGs and 37/38 PATs. 

Another Ranger football player, Blake Bowman, was recruited to walk-on at Colorado School of Mines. Bowman had three interceptions, 61 tackles, and 8 TFLs this season. Bowman is majoring in computer science and chose the School of Mines for their engineering program and successful D2 football team.

Baseball

Andrew Fagala signed to Curry College in Massachusetts to continue his baseball career and major in business. In seven games this past season, Fagala stole four bases and scored nine runs.