One game at a time

Girls soccer wins district, moves into playoffs

Senior Helene Farris takes a free kick in the district championship against Steele. Farris committed to play soccer at UTSA last month, and this year is her first at Smithson Valley.

Christina Eckert

Emma Siebold, Sports Editor

Twenty-seven girls rush to empty their water bottles, drenching their head coach. The soccer team takes the district title without losing a single game.

The team last won the district championship in 2016, when they made it to the third round of playoffs and lost to O’Connor.

“We’ve been undefeated in district before,” head coach Jason Adkins said. “But it’s been a long time, and so that’s a huge accomplishment for our girls and our program, so the team was ecstatic.”

The Rangers face Johnson Friday, at 7 p.m. at Davenport High School. The victor will advance to the second round and play either Westlake or Round Rock, though the team is taking playoffs game by game.

“This year, both the team and I have gone into the season with an open mind, taking it one game at a time,” sophomore Kaili Castillo said. “Focusing on our strengths rather than dwelling on our weaknesses.”

With Johnson’s strong back line, Adkins believes that the front four will have an important role in the game. Sophomore Sabrina Taber continues to lead in goals this year with 22. Forwards Jewel Mann and Jasmin Dominguez are also top scorers, with 15 goals each. 

Senior Helene Farris leads the team in assists, with 15, and she has proven to be a dominant force in the midfield with Jadelin Castillo, Taylor Swenson, and Tatianna Herrera. The back four, as well as holding midfielders Abigail Keefe, Arianna Monnin and goalkeeper Melyna Martinez, have also proven their skill, with only six goals allowed in 21 games played. 

“I’m extremely excited going into playoffs this year, especially since we didn’t get the chance to last year,” Mann  said. “Our team looks amazing and I’m proud of how far we’ve come since preseason. As a senior, I think the best way to go out of high school is going to state after working hard for this team for four straight years.”

The team sat at number one for the entire season, but it was a constant reminder for what they stood to lose.

“Being undefeated has put a lot of pressure on our team, but nothing we haven’t been able to overcome,” Kaili Castillo said. “Overall it’s taught us to be humble and go out with the correct mindset, allowing us to achieve our goals game by game.” 

Friday’s match against Johnson is an opportunity for the girls to showcase the work they put in this season, and prove that the undefeated district champions aren’t ready to end their streak.