Staying on track

Record holders Amalie Mills and Jazmyn Singh as well as the boys 4×00 advance to state track meet

Noah Aurty

Tevijon Williams races against Clemens at the district track meet. Williams, who is competing with the 4×400 relay this weekend, holds the school record for the 100m (10.55).

Emma Siebold, Sports Editor

Long distance runner Amalie Mills had a dream, and this weekend she will see that dream come true.

Mills is one of six athletes competing at the state track meet Friday and Saturday in Austin.

Mills, who has committed to the Air Force Academy, set the school and city record for the 800m at the area meet with a time of 2:09.61. She also will compete in the 1600. 

“I am so proud of myself for accomplishing this dream of mine,” Mills said. “To be honest, I never thought that I’d be able to qualify for the state meet. And now, in my senior season, I am about to head up to Austin to compete in two events.” 

To prepare for Austin, Mills cut down her weekly mileage from 45-50 miles to a measly 40.

“Coach (Trenton) Hall and I have prepared some workouts that will aid me in the 800 and the mile, especially when I am exhausted and in pain at the end of the race,” Mills said. “I have also been really focusing on my sleep, nutrition, hydration and muscle recovery.”

Mills also mediates at night before bed to clear her head.

“There are a lot of really fast runners that will be at this meet, and that can be stressful,” she said. “Meditation helps me turn those pre-race nerves and anxiety to excitement.” 

After dealing with an injury last year, Mills has taken to building her running resume; she was cross country district and region champion, track district and area champion in both the 800m and 1600m, qualifying for state in both of those events.

“I’ve never been to the state track meet as an individual qualifier,” Mills said. “In my sophomore year, I qualified with the 4×400 relay team. This time, however, it was all me. I was able to qualify all by myself. And somehow this feels more satisfactory than by going to compete on a relay.”

Freshman Jasmyn Singh, who holds the school record for the 400m (55.17), will join Mills in Austin.

“It feels great to know that my hard work has been paying off,” Singh said. “After COVID hit, it slowed me down and I’ve had to work harder to get my times where I want them to be.”

The boys 4×400 relay, consisting of Xander Miller, Tevijon Williams, Kevin Uduji and Tait Maples, is advancing as well.

“We just stayed consistent in our workouts throughout the season, and made sure to keep our goal in the front of our minds at all times,” Miller said. “In order to make sure we’re ready for state, we’re making sure that we take care of our bodies and working on technique.” 

Last year, the season was cut short because of COVID-19, and track athletes lost their opportunity to run at the state meet. Now, six runners have the chance to make up for lost time.