Powderpuff collects donations for childhood cancer

Friday’s game held in honor of Rachael Chaffin

Parker Maroney

Sophomore Rachel Moore chases down Tatum Umsheid in a practice scrimmage against the freshmen.

Emma Siebold, Sports Editor

When the annual powderpuff game kicks off Friday, sophomore Ryan Chaffin will be there, remembering his sister who loved to watch him play football.

Racheal Chaffin passed away six years ago at 13 after being diagnosed with Rhabdomyosarcoma, a form of cancer that affects muscle tissue.

“It’s important to me because this is what she would have wanted,” Rachael’s brother sophomore Ryan Chaffin said. “She did powderpuff when she was in treatment at the (Spring Branch) middle school, and she always loved watching me play football.” 

The games take place from 5:15 to 9:30 p.m. in Ranger Stadium. Donations at the gate will be accepted for admission, and all proceeds go to the St. Baldrick’s Foundation for Children’s Cancer, a non-profit organization.

“Although I never had the chance of meeting Rachael personally, she lit up the hearts of many people and we want to carry on her legacy for her and her family,” Colton Thomasson, offensive lineman and sophomore coach, said.

Every year, more than 15,000 children are diagnosed with a form of cancer. Before she passed, Rachael wanted to help other children in similar situations. Her research fund has raised $54,242 since 2014 for St. Baldrick’s.

In powderpuff, girls from all four grades play flag football, and each team is coached by football players from their respective grades.

“Coaching these girls is awesome because I get to teach the game I love to my friends and fellow classmates,” Thomasson said. “Although these girls haven’t played ball, they are more than ready, in all grades, to have an amazing outing this Friday.”

In the first round, freshmen will play seniors and sophomores will play juniors. The winners of those two games will face off in the championship final. 

“I enjoy how the coaches give everyone a chance to play and how they make it fun and hype us up,” sophomore Jordan Jones said. “It’s important to donate for Rachael Chaffin so the Chaffin family knows that they have our support.”