S.U.R.E Club to host Ally Week in support of minority groups

Students encouraged to wear a different color each day to show support

SURE Club

Students are asked to wear specific colors each day during the week of Nov.8 in support of marginalized groups on campus.

Emma Siebold, Managing Editor

The Students United for Respect and Equity Club is hosting Ally Week  Nov. 8 to Nov. 13. Each day, students are encouraged to wear a specific color to support marginalized groups and causes.

“Ally Week is important because our campus holds diverse communities, so it is important that we highlight them and show our support,” S.U.R.E Club Vice president Campbell Lueck said. 

On Monday, students are encouraged to wear purple in support of people of color, Tuesday’s color is blue for disability awareness and Wednesday’s is red to represent women’s rights.

Thursday’s color  is green for environmental issues, and Friday’s is rainbow for LGBTQ+ awareness, preluding Saturday’s movie night hosted by S.U.R.E Club’s LGBTQ+ Committee. 

On Nov.13, S.U.R.E Club is putting on a movie night at 7 p.m on the band pad. Attendees are encouraged to bring chairs and blankets, and the featured film is “The Perks of Being a Wallflower.” Tickets are $5, and all proceeds from tickets and concessions will benefit Thrive Youth Center in San Antonio.

All profits from the movie night support Thrive Youth Center in San Antonio. (Campbell Lueck )

Thrive Youth Center is a non-profit organization that provides care to homeless LGBTQ+ youth. 

“They have an ‘emergency shelter’ that has beds and necessary care supplies for these teens and our money will help them to continue to give these homeless kids the basic living and hygiene essentials that they need,” said Abigail Martin, the club’s LGBTQ+ Committee chair. “They also help these kids with mental health and life skills to continue to be successful in society.”

SV United, Humans of SV and the Black Student Union will join S.U.R.E Club in hosting Ally Week. Their goal is to represent a united front for supporting minority groups on campus.

“Students should participate to show their peers support,” Lueck said, “and help make our school a safe place for all people.”