Unmute student journalists

Scholastic Press Week brings awareness to censorship

Photo courtesy of https://studentpressfreedom.org/

Student journalists in Texas can be unfairly censored by school administrators.

Rebekah Mann, Editor In Chief

My freshman year of high school was the first time I had ever been taught about the Supreme Court Cases that make up the limitations to my freedom of speech. I only learned about these pivotal cases, such as Tinker vs. Des Moines or the Hazelwood SCOTUS ruling, through scholastic journalism. It felt as if I was finally informed on the restrictions on my rights and the injustices and infringements on free speech. 

Last week was Scholastic Press Week, a time for student journalists to advocate for their write to free speech through the press. There are only 12 states that have passed legislation to protect student journalists, and Texas is not one of them. The New Voices Act protects students, and in Texas’ case, teachers from being censored by administrators. This guarantees student journalists their right to free speech. This Bill prioritizes the first amendment and free press.

I only feel informed on these things because of scholastic journalism, because there is a threat against my right to free speech every day when I publish an opinion piece through my school newspaper. I deserve the right to write freely, without fear of censorship or administrative backlash. My journalistic work and integrity is not diminished because I write for a school paper. Scholastic journalism deserves the same freedom of all journalism.

Journalism has given me a voice and an outlet to speak freely about the topics that weigh on our community and school. I am very lucky to have administrators that not only tolerate the Valley Ventana, but that fully support the voices of students. Through scholastic journalism, I have written about mask mandates, capitol insurrections and sexual harassment. The power of the press gave me an outlet to voice concerns and anger during some of the most trying times in our country. 

Student press freedom not only impacts journalists — it impacts entire communities. Journalism gives a voice to the voiceless, and those voices should not be silenced.