Ready to take on district

Girls basketball sets 8-9 record before taking on New Braunfels in last pre-district game

Olivia Ingram

Sophomore Mia Perez dribbles down the court.

Julissa Vargas, Sports Writer

Girls basketball opened its season with a current record of 8-9. They fell short Saturday against Antonian 42-50 playing in the Canyon and New Braunfels tournament.

As the team heads into district , it will need to execute in the upcoming games.

“We have shown a lot of growth in our pre-district games,” coach Matthew Sutherland said.  “We continue to improve, we just need to tighten things up on offense and defense so we ensure we capitalize on opportunities we create.”

The girls wake up early everyday before school to start practice at 7:15 a.m. the earliest, and 7:45 a.m. the latest.

We have some good young players, who are ready to make an impact,” Sutherland said. “ They just need to believe in their abilities. If we learn to play with consistency we will be a tough team in the district.”

Teammates encourage each other on and off the court.

“Whether it be cheering or taking accountability,” junior Sidney Smith said, “these little actions help us to not only bring on a positive mood but also build chemistry.”

Basketball’s last pre-district game was played against New Braunfels High School Friday; the team lost 64-58. Their first district game will be played away against Kerrville Tivy Tuesday at 6:30 p.m.