Running an errand during fifth period Lauren Boswell stops to pose for a picture
A new occupation
Solily San Miguel, Design/Production editor • May 3, 2024
Izzy Sutherland runs down the track during the 400m at region on April 19.
On track: Freshman to compete at state in 4x400
Julissa Vargas, Staff Writer • May 2, 2024
In her approach to third base, sophomore Kamryn Prater prepares to slide to beat the throw out.
Softball, baseball step up to playoffs
Lukas Haider, Sports Writer • May 1, 2024
Senior Jazmyn Singh runs down the track during the 400m dash at the region competition April 19.
Chasing victory
Austen Young, Staff Writer • May 1, 2024
Senior Ella Pickron pole vaults at a track meet earlier this season.
Springing into the future: Senior Ella Pickron continues pole vaulting career
Allison Howe, Staff Writer • April 30, 2024

Crowds and concessions

Students volunteer to pick up messy bleachers after football games
Alex Whelchel
On the Saturday after homecoming, National Honor Society member Isabella White grabs handfuls of pom pom debris from the previous night’s football game.

Water, soda, popcorn and nachos are just the basics of what is left behind when the football bleachers clear for the night. After games in Ranger Stadium, stands are left littered in trash and food scraps.

Solily San Miguel
Student section bleachers are littered with popcorn bags and nacho plates after the homecoming game.

“It’s always pretty messy,” senior Meredith Bone said. “No one cares where all our trash goes, and people leave stuff at their seats.”

Though the cleanup has no specific administration, student volunteers and custodial staff clean the stands post-game.  After the homecoming game against MacArthur, members of the National Honor Society cleaned the bleachers.

“It’s a community effort,” NHS sponsor Tracy Medina  said. “It helps take a pride in our campus and our school.” 

Football player senior Marcus Solis also doesn’t mind helping out with the cleaning process. 

Solily San Miguel
After the homecoming game, pom pom residue littered the bleachers, fences and the grass

“It’s not a hassle or anything because I like to take care of the school,” he said.

Medina offered a suggestion to help keep the bleachers clean.

“Make an announcement saying, ‘Hey if you see any trash, clean it up,'” she said. “We could pass around trash bags afterwards, and people could help clean. It  shouldn’t take long.

“I get that at this point it’s late in the evening, it’s dark and then you have to have someone who looks after the kids, but we had a group of 15 students that cleaned up afterwards.”