The student news site of Smithson Valley High School in Spring Branch, Texas

Recent Results
Select a Sport
Smithson Valley
4
Vetrans Memorial - Teacher Appreciation
0
Feb 27 / Boys Soccer
Smithson Valley
10
Veterans Memorial
0
Feb 27 / Girls Soccer
Smithson Valley
4
Wagner
1
Feb 23 / Boys Soccer
Smithson Valley
7
Wagner
0
Feb 23 / Girls Soccer
Smithson Valley
3
Seguin - Future Ranger Night
0
Feb 20 / Boys Soccer
Smithson Valley
8
Seguin
0
Feb 20 / Girls Soccer
Smithson Valley
check out ranger roundup
State Tournament
Feb 17 / Wrestling
Upcoming Games
Select a Sport
Smithson Valley
Canyon
Mar 1 /7:15 p.m. / Boys Soccer
Smithson Valley
Canyon
Mar 1 /7:15 p.m. / Girls Soccer
Smithson Valley
Boerne Champion - Senior Night
Mar 5 /7:15 p.m. / Boys Soccer
Smithson Valley
Boerne Champion
Mar 5 /7:15 p.m. / Girls Soccer
Smithson Valley
Pieper
Mar 8 /7:15 p.m. / Boys Soccer
Smithson Valley
PIeper
Mar 8 /7:15 p.m. / Girls Soccer
Smithson Valley
Clemens
Mar 12 /7:15 p.m. / Boys Soccer

Basketball runs in the family

Jonathan Jones
Coach Ike Thornton focuses on the action while his son, assistant coach Isaac Thornton, offers another pair of eyes off the bench. Issac joined the coaching staff after working with Arizona State and the Dallas Mavericks.

New assistant basketball coach Isaac Thornton brings a resume that includes four years lettering at Division I San Jose State University and working on the staff for the Dallas Mavericks.

He also happens to know head coach Ike Thornton pretty well – they are father and son.

“Coaching here has been fun, learned a lot .… It’s been fun getting to know the guys, sharing what I know about the game with them and learning from them as well,” Isaac said. said. 

Issac replaced assistant coach Dylan Lieck, and the team has welcomed the new addition.

“He talks with the players and has a good relationship with everybody,” key point guard Quenton Sampson said. “He gets involved with us, does drills with us. He talks with us and makes a lot of adjustments that not a lot [of] coaches would do, and that separates him from everybody else.”

The new assistant coach’s style and out-going personality provide a space of energy and experience.

“He’s a big spark to our team,” starting shooting guard Gavin Londrie said, “and he definitely tries to motivate other guys and get others involved. 

His dad has given him a large role in the program.

“All my assistant coaches have a large role,” Ike said. “I always get their input on most of the decisions I make in the program.” 

This is just the beginning for Issac as he could be in the running for a head coaching position down the road – something his dad would embrace.

“That would be awesome,” Ike said. “I feel highly about Smithson Valley sports in general and the school in general. Great teachers here, awesome coaches and it’s a great environment for him to get his first coaching job as an assistant and even better if he could hold on a while and become the head coach.”