The student news site of Smithson Valley High School in Spring Branch, Texas

Hudson Woods throws his arms out after a play before getting into position
Hudson Woods climbs to new heights after standout sophomore season
Jonathan Jones, Sports Writer • May 18, 2024
Joshua Velasquez committed to serving his country in the U.S. Army.
Beyond basic
Margaret Edmonson, Adviser • May 17, 2024
Sydney Rakowitz will study education and training and music at the University of Incarnate Word.
Seniors sign to continue athletic, non-athletic careers
Valley Ventana, Staff • May 16, 2024
Boy Scouts of America announced on May 7 the organizations name will change to Scouting America on the organizations 115th birthday Feb. 8, 2025. Photo by JV via unsplash.com
Boy Scouts changing name after 115 years
Grayson Cook, Staff writer • May 15, 2024
The top 15 students in the senior class receive special recognition at graduation on May 22 due to their hard work throughout high school. 
Graphic by Alex Whelchel via Canva
Profile: Top 15 seniors
Alex Whelchel, Managing Editor • May 13, 2024

Basketball runs in the family

Jonathan Jones
Coach Ike Thornton focuses on the action while his son, assistant coach Isaac Thornton, offers another pair of eyes off the bench. Issac joined the coaching staff after working with Arizona State and the Dallas Mavericks.

New assistant basketball coach Isaac Thornton brings a resume that includes four years lettering at Division I San Jose State University and working on the staff for the Dallas Mavericks.

He also happens to know head coach Ike Thornton pretty well – they are father and son.

“Coaching here has been fun, learned a lot .… It’s been fun getting to know the guys, sharing what I know about the game with them and learning from them as well,” Isaac said. said. 

Issac replaced assistant coach Dylan Lieck, and the team has welcomed the new addition.

“He talks with the players and has a good relationship with everybody,” key point guard Quenton Sampson said. “He gets involved with us, does drills with us. He talks with us and makes a lot of adjustments that not a lot [of] coaches would do, and that separates him from everybody else.”

The new assistant coach’s style and out-going personality provide a space of energy and experience.

“He’s a big spark to our team,” starting shooting guard Gavin Londrie said, “and he definitely tries to motivate other guys and get others involved. 

His dad has given him a large role in the program.

“All my assistant coaches have a large role,” Ike said. “I always get their input on most of the decisions I make in the program.” 

This is just the beginning for Issac as he could be in the running for a head coaching position down the road – something his dad would embrace.

“That would be awesome,” Ike said. “I feel highly about Smithson Valley sports in general and the school in general. Great teachers here, awesome coaches and it’s a great environment for him to get his first coaching job as an assistant and even better if he could hold on a while and become the head coach.”