The student news site of Smithson Valley High School in Spring Branch, Texas

Evie Armour stars as Iphigenia in the one-act play that competes at region.
Shining Armour
Alissa Kastle, Staff Writer • April 25, 2024
The golf team will compete at state Monday at the Legacy Hills Golf Club. Golfers including as Zach Seader, Aiden Page, Anniiston Mcllwain, Cole Cantu, and Ryan Griff will represent the boys team, while Sayers Allen will play.
Ranger Roundup
Sports staffApril 24, 2024
Valley Ventana’s weekly Connections game: Week of April 22. Photo via Canva
Connections: Week of April 22
Valley Ventana, Staff • April 23, 2024
Wrestling coach Tim Clarkson was named the 5A Region IV Coach of the Year by his peers. Music by MorningLightMusic on YT
Wrestling coach named tops for Region IV 5A
April 22, 2024
Junior Sayers Allen poses for a photo at the golf region competition on April 17. Photo via SVHS Golf.
Swinging it into high gear
Grayson Cook, Staff Writer • April 19, 2024

Basketball runs in the family

Jonathan Jones
Coach Ike Thornton focuses on the action while his son, assistant coach Isaac Thornton, offers another pair of eyes off the bench. Issac joined the coaching staff after working with Arizona State and the Dallas Mavericks.

New assistant basketball coach Isaac Thornton brings a resume that includes four years lettering at Division I San Jose State University and working on the staff for the Dallas Mavericks.

He also happens to know head coach Ike Thornton pretty well – they are father and son.

“Coaching here has been fun, learned a lot .… It’s been fun getting to know the guys, sharing what I know about the game with them and learning from them as well,” Isaac said. said. 

Issac replaced assistant coach Dylan Lieck, and the team has welcomed the new addition.

“He talks with the players and has a good relationship with everybody,” key point guard Quenton Sampson said. “He gets involved with us, does drills with us. He talks with us and makes a lot of adjustments that not a lot [of] coaches would do, and that separates him from everybody else.”

The new assistant coach’s style and out-going personality provide a space of energy and experience.

“He’s a big spark to our team,” starting shooting guard Gavin Londrie said, “and he definitely tries to motivate other guys and get others involved. 

His dad has given him a large role in the program.

“All my assistant coaches have a large role,” Ike said. “I always get their input on most of the decisions I make in the program.” 

This is just the beginning for Issac as he could be in the running for a head coaching position down the road – something his dad would embrace.

“That would be awesome,” Ike said. “I feel highly about Smithson Valley sports in general and the school in general. Great teachers here, awesome coaches and it’s a great environment for him to get his first coaching job as an assistant and even better if he could hold on a while and become the head coach.”