Evie Armour stars as Iphigenia in the one-act play that competes at region.
Shining Armour
Alissa Kastle, Staff Writer • April 25, 2024
The golf team will compete at state Monday at the Legacy Hills Golf Club. Golfers including as Zach Seader, Aiden Page, Anniiston Mcllwain, Cole Cantu, and Ryan Griff will represent the boys team, while Sayers Allen will play.
Ranger Roundup
Sports staffApril 24, 2024
Valley Ventana’s weekly Connections game: Week of April 22. Photo via Canva
Connections: Week of April 22
Valley Ventana, Staff • April 23, 2024
Wrestling coach Tim Clarkson was named the 5A Region IV Coach of the Year by his peers. Music by MorningLightMusic on YT
Wrestling coach named tops for Region IV 5A
April 22, 2024
Junior Sayers Allen poses for a photo at the golf region competition on April 17. Photo via SVHS Golf.
Swinging it into high gear
Grayson Cook, Staff Writer • April 19, 2024

Creating History: Jake Goode selected for San Antonio All-star Game

Davis Kuhn
Jake Goode shooting a 3-pointer against San Marcos.

Senior basketball player Jake Goode in the San Antonio All Star game. Due to an injury he will not participate however he will go down in school history.

Goode has been dealing with a stress fracture in his back for a month but he’s given the team his all by playing through it. Another one of the many reasons Jake has earned his spot on the select roster. 

“It’s a blessing to be able to represent not only Smithson Valley but the area as a whole.” Goode said. 

Goode’s teammates and staff are very proud and supportive of his acchievement. One of his teammates, Jason Cruz, has been friends with him since Kindergarten and has been playing basketball with him since the third grade.

“I’m really proud,” Cruz said.”I’ve known him since I was little and it’s a big accomplishment for him” Cruz said.

Assistant coach Issac Thornton is not surprised by Goode’s selection. “ No not at all I’ve gotten to watch Jake since pre-season he’s been putting in a lot of work along with the core group of seniors” Issac said.

Goode’s hard work paid off this season as he dropped a career high 33 points against San Marcos this season including another career high of 6 3-pointers in one game.

Goode’s unique blend of height and shooting makes him a great floor stretcher and rebounder. 

Goode believes that “I’m a leader on the court and all the hard work I’ve put in” is a couple reasons he deserves his spot.

Cruz also notes Goodes performance off the court. 

“Honest person that knows how to make people smile and happy,” he said.

Goode believes that he shouldn’t have been the only ranger on the team.

“I can’t name them all but Gavin Londrie, DJ Onezine and Jason Cruz are all I would say worthy of that slot” 

A San Antonio All-star game selection is a unique award that Goode recognizes as a big achievement “I would say it’s definitely been at the top of my personal accolades as a player” Jake said.