Kindness is key

Current events call for friendship, understanding

Emma Sipple, Web Editor

In light of recent presidential election results, parties on both sides have lashed out in
anger, disappointment and downright rude behaviors that have left adults and students alike worried. “It was just a joke” or “I didn’t really mean it” ring hollow when some are made
to feel unwelcome and hated at this school.
There is more focus on combative debates and open hatred than listening and understanding. That is not how we should act to our peers and community members. We need to, now more than ever, stand with one another and not tear each other down.
There will be those who disagree; any opinion will have an opposing viewpoint. Instead of encouraging others to kill themselves or “go back” where they “came from there should be an effort to listen and
see why another person might have a different viewpoint. A difference of opinion should not put into doubt the value of someone else’s existence.
Just as listening to others is important, we also have to spread kindness rather than harsh words. Bullying, no matter the form, is still bullying.
For some, underhanded comments have no effect; but for others, especially those who might have a tough home life or deal with mental health and self-esteem issues, then one underhanded comment could be the breaking point. Because we might not know what
another is going through, spreading kindness to others will do more for everyone than spreading hate.
Kindness and understanding are tools we need to use to move forward in both our personal relationships and the world as a whole. No matter the political affiliation, we must stand together to make our school, community and country what we want
it to be. It all starts with reaching out to people in friendship and with an open mind and heart.