Pledge to patriotism

Signal of national pride remembered

Students from Timberwood Elementary raise the flag.

Ryan Randle

Dakota Perelstein, Staff Writer

About 125 years after the creation of the Pledge of Allegiance, we probably need to have State of the Union about our wonderful pledge. The Pledge of Allegiance is still incredibly vital to our society and country, and while it seems to be turning increasingly decadent to many citizens, it is during this time that we should appreciate the pledge even more so now.

Everyone knows the Pledge of Allegiance as the small few lines that you say in the morning before school. Or it’s said as symbol of respect and inspiration at national sports events in the US. It’s as well-known as the Declaration of Independence. Written by Francis Bellamy, the Pledge of Allegiance was meant to instil a sort of patriotism in children during the Civil War, as that was a time of cultural change from romanticism to realism, which can be credited to the horrors of the war that divided the nation, having family and friends fight each other.

The Pledge was a thing of patriotism before today, and after its adoption as the official pledge of the United States, became a symbol of national pride and independence. Now, more than ever during this period of massive change in politics and such, the United States needs unity and companionship. The Pledge is the core of this belief. The Pledge is a powerful symbol of the nation’s strifes and successes throughout history and represents the independence it has held for generations. That in itself is something to respect and look to as a motivating force for national unity.

Yes, the Pledge has quickly lost its effectiveness from constant use every day, and one may grow sick of hearing the same words over and over again. But, that does not mean we should get rid of it outright. We should look to the Pledge periodically and remember why the Pledge exists today. Why the US adopted it. Why the US has come this far in the world, rising from oppression to becoming a world power. That is what the Pledge was adopted for; to pull people together and realize that no matter the crisis or struggle, if the people keep together, everything will work out.

The Pledge of Allegiance is still incredibly relevant to the United States. It’s meaning and effect on the citizens speaks volumes for its institution in our society. By reflecting on the Pledge every so often, citizens, new and old, will easily understand its meaning and will truly strive to hold together during any time, good or bad.