Seniors dominate at local all-star game

The East team celebrates a dominant 51-14 victory in the San Antonio Sports High School All-Star game on Jan. 6 at the Alamodome.

Photo by Sam Roberts Photography

Bobby Palomin, Editor-in-Chief

Four former Ranger football players represented Smithson Valley at the San Antonio Sports High School All-Star game. The game took place Saturday at the Alamodome after the U.S Army All American game.

The players represented the East side along with coach Larry Hill and the rest of the coaching staff in their dominant 51-14 victory.

Seniors Trevon Moehrig-Woodard, Mason Pierce, CJ Kuehler, and Adorzeyl Hunter all started the game.Moehrig-Woodard and Pierce saw time on both sides of the ball as they typically did this year while Kuehler and Hunter saw a lot of field time on the defensive and offensive ends respectively.

Some big highlights from the game featured a 64 yard touchdown catch for Moehrig-Woodard that came on a pass from New Braunfels quarterback and game MVP Ryan Redding, while tight end Hunter had a nice 25 yard gain on a end around reverse run.

Pierce had several solid perimeter runs but made his presence felt defensively coming up with several tackles from his cornerback spot and on the kickoff team. Kuehler had another great day from his defensive end spot ending the game with 2 sacks.

The game also featured a half time trophy presentation to coach Larry Hill honoring him for his 250th career win which he obtained this season.

This game marked the final game for the four seniors representing the Rangers capping off a successful season which saw them finish with it’s first district championship in four years.