Off the block

Junior dives into leadership role

Emma Sipple

Junior Shaun Besch (Center), dives in for the 200 yard freestyle at the dual meet against Reagan Jan 6.

Wyatt Tomallo, Sports Editor

People often wonder what are the key ingredients of making a successful team. It’s not the athletes, fans, or coaching, it’s something that is worth more. It’s the attributes of leadership, hard work, and heart of which junior Shaun Besch encompasses every time he dives off the block.

Besch has been on the varsity for his entire high school swimming career, including qualifying for state meets both his freshman and sophomore seasons. Besch is a key contributor to the varsity 200m relay squad, helping them succeed in placing 21st overall (1:28.47) in last year’s state finals.

“I think of Shaun as one of my close teammates and training partners,” teammate Konnar Klinksiek said.  “Everyday we push each other to do better than we did the day before. He is a great competitor and leader.”

Besch recently competed in the first meet of the varsity swim season on Oct. 7, placing 4th in multiple events such as the Men’s 100m butterfly (58.02), Men’s 100 yard IM (1:00.50), Men’s 50 yard Butterfly (26.30), Men’s 50 yard Breaststroke (30.43). Besch earned 60 out of 584 points for the men’s swim team at the Palo Alto College meet. The team went on to blow the entire competition out of the water, with the nearest competitor 400 points behind the swim team.

“I watched Shaun grow over the last two years and watched him mature as a person and as a leader, and he is a big part of what we’re trying to achieve here,” head coach Kari Osbourne said. “Most importantly when it comes to the meets, Shaun comes to swim hard and compete at the best of his ability.”

Besch earned high praise for his leadership skills in and out of the pool which is leading him to run for team captain for this upcoming season. His experience over the past two seasons on the varsity swim team has lead to his ability to be a better leader and an overall better swimmer.

“I hope the inspiration of my past successes can inspire a new crowd of swimmers to do even better than we have already” Besch said.