Running the table

Baseball continues to dominate in district play.

Senior Hunter Cheek fields a ball from third base during the teams 11-5 win over Huto at the Pflugerville tournament on Feb 23. Since the win the team has won 16 of their last 18 games.

John Cernohous

Bobby Palomin, Editor-in-Chief

The boys baseball team continues to stay red hot in district play defeating Clemens 16-8, pushing its record to 17-3 (6-0 in District).

After being down 4-0 at the end of the top of the first inning, the team was able to explode for six runs and held firm control of the game from there on out.

The team recently rallied around  play from seniors CJ Horn and Mason Pierce while being able to hang its hat on some reliable pitching from seniors Eric Reece and Ethan Rivera.

“We are playing with a lot of confidence they are just believing in each other,” head coach Chad Koehl said, “We have been through a big injury prone couple of weeks, but we have had several guys step up.”

After winning the past six games the team has established itself firmly atop District 27-6A. The players have won each of their district games by an average of 6.5 runs and have also secured several big victories against top competition in the state in teams such as Kerrville Tivy, Churchill, and most recently Clemens.

A defining factor for the team this year has been its ability to overcome deficits repeatedly throughout the season. The boys have overcome a deficit to win on five separate occasions so far this year.

“We were down 8-0 against East central in the fifth, and I just brought them in and told them to calm down and go pitch by pitch,” Koehl said. “We came back ,and I think that game really showed them that no matter how much we’re down by, with our attitude heart and determination we can always battle back.”

The team recently came in as the second ranked team in the city according to the San Antonio Express News and as the 11th ranked team according 6A Texas High School baseball.

The next game takes place on Friday at 7 p.m. at Clemens.