Football slays Unicorns, clinch playoffs

Casey Casselberry

Football defeated New Braunfels, 20-3 to clinch a playoff birth where they will play powerhouse Lake Travis on November 16th at 7:30 p.m. in Austin.

Wyatt Tomallo, Sports Editor

As Ranger fans poured into Unicorn stadium on Friday, nerves ran high as the team’s playoff hopes were in jeopardy. With a win against rival New Braunfels in their last game of the season, the Rangers would be in position to clinch another playoff spot. This season has been somewhat out of the ordinary for Smithson Valley as early struggles have put them in a tight position heading forward. Nonetheless the team lead by legendary football coach, Larry Hill, continue their push for a state title.

On Friday the varsity football team took on district rival New Braunfels, resulting in a 20-3 victory for the Rangers as they clinched the final playoff spot for 6A Division 1 football.

The Unicorns struck first off an unpredictable field goal late in the second quarter to make the lead 3-0 heading into halftime.

That was the last time New Braunfels saw the end zone, as the Rangers played on the scores throughout the second half. Junior running back, Jacob Forton scored his first touchdown of the year off a 25 yard rushing touchdown to give the Rangers the lead early in the third quarter. The following couple of drives were field goals by North Texas commit, Mason Reid as he was perfect from both 47 and 41 yard field goals.

With the game coming to a close and tensions rising between both teams, the Rangers managed to put together one final scoring driven to kill any motivation the Unicorns possessed. Sophomore star running back Darlington Frasch did just that as he drove the New Braunfels defence back after every rush until finding the end zone off a 1 yard rushing touchdown to seal the playoff berth for the team.

With a playoffs set for the Rangers, they face a strong powerhouse opponent in Austin Lake Travis this upcoming Friday at 7:30 p.m. in Austin.