Sibling success

UIL competitors influenced by older brothers

Senior Luke Estes assists math and science competitors as they wait for their next event in the Bandera High School cafeteria on Dec. 1. Senior Ross Stoutamyer and junior Audrey Pauletti are both on the right.

Margaret Edmonson

Laney Rendon, Editor-in-Chief

Unlike most UIL students, senior Ross Stoutamyer competed alongside his older brother his freshman year. Being an athlete outside of school whereas his brother focused on band, the both of them thrived in their academics. Ryan Stoutamyer may have graduated and left this school two years ago, but his experiences and advise stay with Ross to this day.

Students with older siblings have this advantage while others are forced to have older friends to rely on. Family is different though. More honest. Less patient. Typically rude to their annoying younger brother or sister. However, being the in the middle or the youngest leaves a person curious about what classes to take, what teachers they would best get along with and what organizations would be best for them. So naturally, they ask their older sibling.

“(Ryan) encouraged me to work harder in school and UIL for sure,” Ross said. “He always wanted me to take the same classes as him to get the same teachers.”

Ross competes in math and science while his brother Ryan competed in social studies.

“My older brother did not expect to place much, but sometimes he got in the top five or six,” Ross said. “I was encouraged by my sixth grade math teacher to do UIL.”

Ryan may have assisted Ross throughout his time in high school, but he’s not the only one who had this help. Junior Audrey Pauletti also competes in events like her older brother, Jared, who graduated the year after Ryan. Audrey usually competes in copy editing and number sense whereas Jared competed in social studies. Both also did math and science.

“For copy editing, so far I have always placed in the top three,” Audrey said. “For the other subjects, it depends on the meet and how much practice I have been able to do.”

Jared’s senior year, he placed consistently in science. “My brother usually placed in the top four in social studies,” Audrey said. “He advanced to area with his team for both social studies and science.”

Siblings influence one another everyday. This time is a bit different though. This time the students not only joined UIL and competed, but they all almost placed every time. Ross and Audrey both participate in the same events and continue to let their older siblings’ legacy live on.