Hole in one

Golf team made up friends who love the game

Back to Article
Back to Article

Hole in one

The boys team took second in the Stampede  tournament last week at the River Crossing golf course.

The boys team took second in the Stampede tournament last week at the River Crossing golf course.

Jason Pape

Jason Pape

Jason Pape

Wyatt Tomallo and Rebecca Covington

Standing on the green with his putter in hand, senior Tyler Horn watches the tiny white ball fly through the air. While golf has been labeled a boring sport before, Horn and his teammates disagree as they feel exhilaration whenever they step onto the course.

“This year we have a more experienced and talented group,” Horn said.

The boys team placed second at the Stampede tournament at River Crossing. Sophomore Jadyn Baker placed second and sophomore Joely English placed second on  Feb 25.

“Toughest competitors for district is New Braunfels on the boys side,” Horn said. “In region it is very difficult to beat Westlake, Lake Travis, and Johnson on the boys side.”

United by the sport they play, the team has rituals surrounding every game.

“On long road trips we make frequent stops at Buc-ees, and a couple days before competitions we all go hang out at Evan’s house,” Tyler Horn said.

Though the golf team, like any other group, has its fair share of problems, it is a team of friends who love the game and each other.

“Golf has its up and downs but I would not change a thing,” freshman Josalyn Keller said “I love the spirit and I cannot believe how far I have come.”

Being on the golf team is much more than being apart of just a sport; it’s about being apart of a family and team commodity.

“It is very underestimated and I think that more people should play,” freshman Sophia Padilla said. “The team is extremely welcoming and everyone is just amazing.”

The team possesses an unbreakable bond that resembles a family.

“I love golf,” sophomore Elise Almquist said, “and I love the people even more.”

About the Writers
Wyatt Tomallo, Sports Editor

Hi, my name is Wyatt Tomallo. I am a senior and the sports editor for the Valley Ventana. I play lacrosse for the high school.

Rebecca Covington, Editor-in-Chief

Hi, I'm Rebecca Covington but most people call me Becca or Becks. This year, I'm a senior and co Editor-in-Chief. Other things I do include competing in...