Ranger roundup

A busy week included a tournament win for girls soccer, a record for girls basketball and more

Margaret Edmonson

Freshman Sabrina Taber dribbles down the pitch during a 10-1 victory Uvalde in the Ranger Classic. Taber scored five of the Rangers’ 10 goals.

Sports staff

Smithson Valley Boys Basketball defeated New Braunfels Canyon on Tuesday, 61-49, to improve their record to 13-7 (2-0 in district). Devante Mount led the charge with 16 points, and the defense held Canyon to under 40% shooting from the field. They’ll look to improve to 3-0 in district play in a home matchup with East Central (15-8, 1-1) on Friday.

Girls basketball roughed up Canyon on Tuesday, 69-29, behind Trinity Garrett’s record-setting night. Her nine assists set the new school single-game record, and raised her career total to 234, also a school record. Anika McGarity (22 points, six steals) and Gabby Elliott (16 points, 13 rebounds) also contributed big performances. The 20-3 (4-0) Lady Rangers will travel to East Central on Friday to face East Central (13-10, 1-2), before a big matchup with reigning state champion Judson (18-8, 3-1) at home on Tuesday.

Boys soccer will look to rebound from a 1-2 showing in the grueling North Texas Elite Showcase with a strong performance at the Ranger Classic. The home tournament could serve as a launchpad for another successful season after last year’s second-round playoff exit. Thursday’s slate includes showdowns with San Antonio Veterans Memorial and El Paso Pebble Hills, with Garland Rowlett and Leander Rouse scheduled for Friday and Saturday, respectively.

The varsity girls’ soccer team took first place in their Ranger Classic tournament, which took place Jan. 2-4. The girls beat Uvalde 10-1, with freshman Sabrina Taber scoring half of the teams’ goals. Victories against Churchill, a 2-0 shutout, and Hutto, 4-0, resulted in an undefeated weekend and a tournament victory. Junior varsity will host and play in a Ranger Classic  of their own Jan. 16-18. 

Swimming and diving will travel to Davis Auditorium on Friday to compete in the Winter Invite Meet. The team will look to build up more momentum in their last pre-district meet after a long layoff (swim hasn’t competed since Dec. 6-7, and swim since Dec. 20).

Three wrestlers placed in the Cy-Fair Invitational on Jan. 5: sophomore Sage Benca took second at 148, senior Bella Ruiz took seventh at 138 and junior Ryan Benca took sixth at 285. The three competed through 64-man brackets that included returning state champions, placers and qualifiers.