Honoring those who suffered

STUCO sponsors essay contest for International Holocaust Memorial Day Jan. 27

United States Holocaust Memorial Museum

January 27 is designated by the United Nations General Assembly as International Holocaust Remembrance Day (IHRD). Since 2005, the UN and its member states have held commemoration ceremonies to mark the anniversary of the liberation of Auschwitz-Birkenau and to honor the six million Jewish victims of the Holocaust and millions of other victims of Nazism.

Staff Reports

Student Council marks International Holocaust Remembrance Day Jan. 27 by sponsoring an essay contest for students of all grades.

The essays can be related to topics such as the Holocaust, its significance in history and its impact today. The deadline for submission is Jan. 27.

Jan. 27 marks the day in 1945 when the German Nazi Auschwitz concentration and extermination camp was liberated by the Soviet army. Between 1.1 million and 1.5 million people, mostly Jews, died in Nazi Germany’s largest concentration camp.

This year, the United Nations selected the theme of “Memory, Dignity, and Justice” focusing on how preserving the historical record and challenging distortion are elements of claiming justice.

No word limit is required, but essays should be at least one page, double spaced.

Winners will be selected for recognition based on message, effort, authenticity, etc. Candy and gift cards will be awarded.

Entries can be turned in printed to student council sponsor Christopher Helkey in Room A120 or shared/emailed to him at [email protected].

For information, see student council members in Room A120.