Lights, camera, pose

Fashion club photo shoot to be used in ‘HAUTE’ magazine

Alex Whelchel

Freshman Olivia Kronowit poses for ‘Haute’ magazine at last weeks meeting.

Alex Whelchel, Staff Writer

Fashion club opened up the year with its first photoshoot on Sept. 14 that will be used in their monthly magazine, HAUTE. 

The club started this past year after fashion design students wanted to meet up outside of class. 

“Really it started with my fashion students who are all interested in fashion,” fashion design teacher Shauna Douglass said. “It’s a great way to meet new people and be social. You don’t have to be an athlete or a certain class to join so it’s just something fun to do.” 

The fashion club publishes its own magazine with a new issue every month. 

“Each month we come out with a new magazine covering different subjects involving fashion,” junior Bethany Wood said, “so it could be something like upcycling, thrifting, or pollution.”

The name of the magazine, HAUTE, is inspired by the University of Southern California’s art publication that is student-run, just like the Smithson Valley fashion club is. 

“The magazine is digital and will be online,” said junior Abbey Alcoser, fashion club president. “It will be about all things fashion.”

Prior to the release of each magazine, the club holds a photoshoot involving all of its members. 

“We hold a photo shoot that goes with each issue that is related to the topic that month.” Wood said. 

This month’s issue will be about thrifting, so Alcoser asked everyone to come to the photoshoot in thrifted clothing.

After the photoshoot, it’s time to write the magazine. Each release will be written by junior Sofia Rosequist, but anyone who wants to help with the process is welcome to. 

“It’s a very welcoming environment, and everyone truly tries their best to talk to every person there and get to know each other.” Wood said, “It’s such a fun environment.”