Evie Armour stars as Iphigenia in the one-act play that competes at region.
Shining Armour
Alissa Kastle, Staff Writer • April 25, 2024
The golf team will compete at state Monday at the Legacy Hills Golf Club. Golfers including as Zach Seader, Aiden Page, Anniiston Mcllwain, Cole Cantu, and Ryan Griff will represent the boys team, while Sayers Allen will play.
Ranger Roundup
Sports staffApril 24, 2024
Valley Ventana’s weekly Connections game: Week of April 22. Photo via Canva
Connections: Week of April 22
Valley Ventana, Staff • April 23, 2024
Wrestling coach Tim Clarkson was named the 5A Region IV Coach of the Year by his peers. Music by MorningLightMusic on YT
Wrestling coach named tops for Region IV 5A
April 22, 2024
Junior Sayers Allen poses for a photo at the golf region competition on April 17. Photo via SVHS Golf.
Swinging it into high gear
Grayson Cook, Staff Writer • April 19, 2024

Grecian turns

One-act play wins bidistrict, advances to area April 13
The cast and crew are having a public performance of their award-winning one-act play “Iphigenia,” on Tuesday, April 9, at 6:30 p.m. Admission is free. (Graphic courtesy of Smithson Valley Theatre Company)

The lights ricochet off the cyc as the stage is suddenly covered in darkness. The ominous ocean blue lighting comes up as the Old Man (James Berry) turns around and exclaims, “It’s done.”

It’s just the beginning of  “Iphigenia,” the theatre company’s one-act play that advances to area Saturday, April 13.

“It’s been too long, and it’s the right group to get us out of the slump” of not advancing beyond bidistrict, director Casey O’Bryant said.

The last time O’Bryant directed  “Iphigenia” was 10 years ago, and that production made it to state.

“I don’t think there’s a work that matters more to me than this one simply because of personal ties to it, the success that it had, and the potential that it has,” he said.

The majority of the cast received bidistrict awards, including the Fates (played by Heavyn Carter and Itzel Schuessler), Clytemnestra (Elyse Williams), the Old Man (James Berry), Agamemnon (Rowen Hamilton) and Iphigenia (Evie Armour).

The most notable awards came from the multi-top performer Rowen Hamilton and other top performer Berry . The top two performers from all the schools in the competition were selected from the same school which is the first time this has occurred this year and is considered an anomaly.

Ella Winkler received recognition as outstanding technician as well as outstanding technical crew with Alyssa Reboulet, Jessica Bone and Alexia Veillette.