Gombert takes new role as Comal athletic director

Gobert coaches players before their first scrimmage on Aug. 5 in the gym.

Abby Robles

Bobby Palomin, Editor

As the varsity volleyball team hit the court for their first scrimmage of the season Friday, it was more than business as usual for head coach Liana Gombert. In the stands were her parents and high school coach, there to celebrate Gombert being named the first female athletic director of Comal ISD.

“I am honored and flattered that that the administrators of comal would think of me in that capacity,” Gombert said.

Superintendent Andrew Kim announced Gombert’s promotion at the annual Comal ISD coaches meeting Wednesday and in a letter to SVHS parents on Thursday. Gombert will replace AD Matt Monzingo, who will retire at the end of August.

“Comal ISD is moving in the right direction,” Kim wrote in the letter to parents, “and I am excited about having Coach Gombert be part of the district’s leadership team and being an intregral part of our future success.”

In her 12 seasons, Gombert’s teams have a 320-178 record. She will remain at the school until the end of the 2016 season before moving into her new role.

“I’m super proud of her,” Donna Boehle, Gomberts former high school coach, said. “It’s a great oppurtunity for her, and I know she’ll do great.”

This will be a quite a change for Gombert, who has been a volleyball head coach since she came out of college.

“I will miss the day-to-day operations of getting on the court and the planning,” Gombert said, “but most of all, I’ll miss the kids.”