Hill inducted into THSCA Hall of Honor

Hill shows off his Hall of Honor plaque at the Texas Ballroom in the Grand Hyatt hotel on July 20.

Bobby Palomin

Bobby Palomin, Editor

Coaches from across the state gathered in San Antonio July 20 for the Texas High School Coaches Association’s Hall of Honor ceremony, where five coaches were inducted into the most prestigious group a high school coach could enter.

Among those inducted was head football coach Larry Hill, solidifying his name among the legends of high school coaching.

“To be honored to go along with some of those guys that I don’t know if I belong next to —  some of them were heroes of mine growing up —  it’s humbling,” Hill said.

With a 249-75 career record, Hill has coached at Smithson Valley High School for 19 years earning nine district titles and three state championship births.

Hill doesn’t take all the credit for his success. He mainly gives that credit to the coaching staffs he’s had around him.

“I trusted those men with my children,” Hill said, “and for that I say thank you for standing by me through my whole career”.

Despite numerous job offers from other schools through his career he’s maintained a commitment to coaching and continuing to develop the program at Smithson Valley. Now entering his 23rd season as head coach he continues to bring that same passion and love for the school and the game of football.

“I’m a Smithson Valley Ranger,” Hill said, “and I will be when they put me in the box.”