9 v.s. 2,953: a janitor’s life

An overview of what a janitors life job is and how they are treated

Addison Coerver

Janitorial staff, Sheila Hubbard, cleaning senior dinning after all lunches have passed.

Addison Coerver, Staff Writer

For head janitor David Lidnsey, trashed rooms, bathrooms and hallways are just a few things he has to deal with every day.

Him, and his eight other staff members.

“I think they do the best they can,”Assistant Principal Sy Douglass said. “They are just trying to keep up.”

There are supposed to be 14 janitors, but few are up for the time-consuming job.

Shifts are split into two–morning and afternoon. Some come in early in the morning– around 4:30 a.m.–and leave at 3 p.m. Others show up at 3 p.m. and don’t leave until 11 p.m.

Lindsey has worked here for 37 years and oversees everything that the staff does. Working ten hour shifts, mopping and polishing the endless amount of halls and classes and taking care of anything else that needs to be done. 

The staff works non-stop everyday and  they are still disrespected by the students who trash the bathrooms and locker rooms. 

Christopher Helkey, a Spanish teacher who works here at SVHS, was moved a few years ago to keep watch and maintain the bathrooms next to A wing.

“Students do not clean up their trash! They leave it for the janitors,” Helkey said.

Students all go into bathrooms, in big waves, trashing and making a big mess, always expecting the janitors to clean up their mess for them.

They cover every building everyday, which is a grueling task.

Preserving a campus that is not small in the slightest, the janitorial staff spends their days ensuring a clean environment for students to work in.