Stayin’ alive

Senior recognized by fire department for performing CPR

Margaret Edmonson

After receiving a plaque Wednesday from Stephan Rahm, clinical director for Bulverde Spring Branch Fire & EMS, senior Jack Mudge gets congratulations from EMT/paramedic D. Moyer. Moyer was among the emergency medical personnel who responded to the call for a heart attack where Mudge performed CPR and saved a man’s life.

Bethany Mann, News/Feature Editor

When senior Jack Mudge went to work over Christmas break, he never imagined he would turn into a hero.

Mudge performed cardiopulmonary resuscitation (CPR) on an elderly man who collapsed, saving his life. Last Wednesday, he was recognized by the local fire department for his actions. 

“If it wasn’t for what he did, then our job and what we do would not have worked,” clinical director for Bulverde Spring Branch Fire & EMS Stephan Rahm said. “In other words, he kept that man’s heart pumping in a cardiac rhythm that our crew could actually take care of.”

Mudge was working on a home remodeling site in the Oak Village North neighborhood on Dec. 29 when he and his boss heard a commotion across the street.

“We heard a woman yelling for help and looked over to see an older man collapsed on his porch,” Mudge said. “My boss and I then ran over to go help out.”

Mudge’s boss called 911 while he performed chess compressions for about seven minutes before first responders came. 

“The lady looked like she was really freaking out and wasn’t in control of the situation,” Mudge said, “so my first thought was to get over there and do something to help.”

When Mudge told Health Occupations Students of America teacher Nicole Antenen that he saved a man’s life, Antenen knew he needed to be recognized. With the help of fellow HOSA teacher Caroline Osborn, she contacted the Bulverde Fire Department to get Mudge the recognition they believed he deserved.

“It’s a big deal,” Antenen said. “It’s less than 8% of out of hospital cardiac arrests that people survive. Coming from the (emergency room), when we get a call and they say ‘CPR in progress. Witness performing CPR’, we automatically know that that patient has a chance of survival.”

Mudge is involved in the HOSA club at school, but he first learned CPR in seventh grade through the Stop the Bleed program and has been interested in the medical field ever since. 

“After I graduate, I’m going to Blinn for a technical degree in fire science,” he said, “and then I’m going to get my (emergency medical technician) and fire certification.”

After getting his degree and certification, Mudge plans to become a firefighter.

“With the associates degree, it should be two years before I can work,” he said. “I’ve looked into finishing up my bachelors degree while I’m a probationary firefighter.”

After saving a man’s life, Mudge has valuable advice for anyone who finds themselves in a similar situation.

“You really have to try to be the clearest thinker there,” he said. “You can’t let the adrenaline rush get to you. Just be calm, collective and quick.”